Are you looking for a delicious and easy way to cook thin sliced beef short ribs?
Look no further!
In this article, we will explore different methods for cooking these succulent ribs, from grilling to baking to marinating.
Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a beginner in the kitchen, we’ve got you covered with step-by-step instructions and helpful tips.
So grab your apron and let’s get cooking!
How To Cook Thin Sliced Beef Short Ribs?
There are several ways to cook thin sliced beef short ribs, each with its own unique flavor and texture. Here are some popular methods:
– Sprinkle brown sugar over the beef and mix well to evenly coat. Let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes while preparing marinade.
– In a bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients to make the marinade.
– Transfer beef into a large sealable freezer bag and add marinade. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.
– Heat gas or charcoal grill to medium-hot. Drain excess marinade off beef and grill short ribs, turning once, to desired doneness, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
– Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Mix together all of the dry rub ingredients until well incorporated.
– Coat one side of the ribs with half of the dry rub mixture, then turn and coat the other side.
– Place the ribs in the oven for 1 hour. After one hour has passed, remove the ribs from the oven and use tongs to flip them over.
– Place back in the oven for 1 hour, or until nicely browned.
– Mix two barbecue sauces and 1 tbsp of dry mix in a mixing bowl until thoroughly combined. Generously coat each side of the ribs with the barbecue sauce mixture using a basting brush.
– Place the ribs back into the oven for 2-3 minutes, just until they are crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.
– Rinse short ribs in cold water, pat dry and place in a wide shallow bowl.
– Mix together soy sauce, brown sugar, rice wine, sesame oil, black pepper and cayenne in another bowl.
– Put onion, garlic, pear and ginger in the work bowl of a food processor. Grind ingredients to a smooth purée, then add to soy sauce mixture. Add sesame seeds. Thin with 1/4 cup water.
– Pour marinade over short ribs and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
– Bring to room temperature, drain and discard marinade. Cook short ribs on a hot grill or under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Choosing The Right Cut Of Beef Short Ribs
When it comes to choosing the right cut of beef short ribs, there are a few factors to consider. First, you want to make sure the meat is visibly marbled with fat. This will ensure that the meat stays tender and juicy during cooking. However, you don’t want an excessive amount of fat, as this can result in tough and dry meat.
Short ribs are cut from two different areas of the cow: the plate and the chuck. Plate short ribs come from the lower portion of the rib cage, while chuck short ribs are closer towards the front of the cow. Plate short ribs are often referred to as “loaded beef ribs” because they have a layer of fat-laced meat on top. These are great for cooking low and slow, as the fat will render down and keep the meat moist.
Chuck short ribs, on the other hand, are shorter in length and have less fat than plate short ribs. They can also be called flanken ribs or English short ribs. While they’re still very meaty, they’re not as ideal for smoking as plate short ribs.
It’s important to note that there are several other names for beef short ribs, which can add to the confusion when selecting the right cut. Some other names include braising ribs, crosscut ribs, Korean short ribs, and English short ribs.
Ultimately, when choosing your beef short ribs, look for visible marbling and a reasonable amount of fat. If you’re planning on smoking them, plate short ribs are your best bet. However, if you’re looking for a shorter cook time or want to grill them, chuck short ribs will work just fine.
Preparing Your Thin Sliced Beef Short Ribs
Before cooking your thin sliced beef short ribs, it is important to properly prepare them. Here are some steps to follow:
1. Choose your cut: There are different types of thin sliced beef short ribs, including boneless, English-cut, and flanken style. Make sure to choose the right cut for your recipe.
2. Clean the meat: Rinse the short ribs in cold water and pat them dry with a paper towel. This will remove any excess blood or debris.
3. Season or marinate: Depending on your recipe, you may want to season or marinate your short ribs before cooking. This will add flavor and tenderize the meat. Follow your recipe’s instructions for seasoning or marinating.
4. Bring to room temperature: Before cooking, let the short ribs sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. This will ensure even cooking and prevent the meat from becoming tough.
5. Drain excess marinade: If you marinated your short ribs, make sure to drain off any excess marinade before cooking. This will prevent flare-ups on the grill or in the oven.
By following these steps, you can ensure that your thin sliced beef short ribs are properly prepared and ready for cooking.
Grilling Thin Sliced Beef Short Ribs: Tips And Tricks
Grilling thin sliced beef short ribs is a delicious and easy way to cook this flavorful cut of meat. Here are some tips and tricks to ensure your short ribs come out perfectly grilled every time:
1. Choose the right cut: Look for flanken-style short ribs, which are thin slices cut across the ribs so you see a few rib cross-sections in each slice. This cut is perfect for grilling because it cooks quickly and evenly.
2. Season well: Short ribs have a lot of flavor on their own, but a little seasoning can take them to the next level. Sprinkle your favorite dry rub or marinade over the meat and let it sit for at least an hour before grilling.
3. Preheat your grill: Make sure your grill is hot before adding the short ribs. This will help create a nice sear on the outside of the meat while keeping the inside juicy and tender.
4. Don’t overcrowd the grill: Give each short rib plenty of space on the grill so they can cook evenly. Overcrowding can cause the meat to steam instead of grill, resulting in a less flavorful finished product.
5. Flip frequently: To prevent burning and ensure even cooking, flip your short ribs every minute or so. This will also help develop a nice crust on both sides of the meat.
6. Use a meat thermometer: To ensure your short ribs are cooked to perfection, use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. Remove them from the grill when they reach 130°F (54°C) for medium-rare.
7. Let them rest: After removing from the grill, let your short ribs rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing. This allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, resulting in a more tender and flavorful finished product.
By following these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to grill thin sliced beef short ribs like a pro!
Baking Thin Sliced Beef Short Ribs: A Foolproof Method
If you prefer a more hands-off approach to cooking, baking thin sliced beef short ribs is a great option. This method is simple and requires minimal prep work, making it perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends.
To start, preheat your oven to 275 degrees F. While the oven is heating up, mix together a dry rub using your favorite spices. Coat one side of the ribs with half of the dry rub mixture, then turn and coat the other side. Place the ribs in the oven for 1 hour.
After an hour has passed, remove the ribs from the oven and use tongs to flip them over. Place them back in the oven for another hour or until they are nicely browned. At this point, you can mix two barbecue sauces and 1 tbsp of dry mix in a mixing bowl until thoroughly combined. Generously coat each side of the ribs with the barbecue sauce mixture using a basting brush.
Place the ribs back into the oven for 2-3 minutes, just until they are crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Once done, remove from the oven and let them rest for a few minutes before serving.
This foolproof method ensures that your thin sliced beef short ribs come out perfectly every time. The dry rub adds flavor and texture to the meat while the barbecue sauce gives it a deliciously sticky glaze. Baking thin sliced beef short ribs is a great way to enjoy this cut of meat without having to spend hours tending to it on the grill or stovetop.
Marinating Thin Sliced Beef Short Ribs: Adding Flavor And Tenderness
Marinating thin sliced beef short ribs is a great way to add flavor and tenderness to this cut of meat. Marinating allows the meat to absorb the flavors of the marinade, while also breaking down the connective tissues in the meat, making it more tender. There are many different marinades that can be used, each with its own unique flavor profile.
One popular marinade for thin sliced beef short ribs is a Korean-style marinade. This marinade typically includes soy sauce, brown sugar, rice wine, sesame oil, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. To make the marinade, onion, garlic, pear, and ginger are blended together in a food processor until smooth, then added to the soy sauce mixture along with sesame seeds and water. The short ribs are then coated in the marinade and left to marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Another popular marinade for thin sliced beef short ribs includes a mixture of soy sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, and vinegar. This marinade adds a lot of flavor to the meat and helps to keep it tender as it cooks. The meat is marinated for at least 12 hours or overnight for the best flavor.
When marinating thin sliced beef short ribs, it’s important to rinse them in cold water first to remove any loose bone fragments and sediment. After marinating, excess pulp should be wiped off before grilling or broiling. Marinated short ribs can be grilled, broiled or pan-fried over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes per side.
Serving Suggestions For Your Delicious Thin Sliced Beef Short Ribs
Once you have cooked your thin sliced beef short ribs, it’s time to think about how to serve them. Here are some delicious serving suggestions:
1. Mashed Potatoes:
– Serve your beef short ribs with creamy mashed potatoes. The rich, meaty flavor of the short ribs pairs perfectly with the smooth texture of the potatoes.
– As mentioned in the text above, serving your beef short ribs over a bed of creamy polenta is a great option. The combination of the tender meat and the creamy polenta is simply divine.
– Another great option is to serve your beef short ribs with noodles. Opt for pre-made fresh noodles, as they will hold up better against the rich flavor of the meat.
4. Roasted Vegetables:
– A side of roasted vegetables, such as carrots, broccoli or Brussels sprouts, will add a nice crunch and balance out the richness of the beef.
– If you have made a braising liquid for your beef short ribs, you can turn it into a delicious gravy to serve alongside the meat.
6. Balsamic Vinegar Glaze:
– For a touch of sweetness and tanginess, drizzle a balsamic vinegar glaze over your beef short ribs.
7. Astringent Greens:
– To cut through the richness of the meat, serve your beef short ribs with a side of astringent greens, such as broccoli rabe or mustard greens.
There are many different ways to serve thin sliced beef short ribs, so feel free to get creative and experiment with different flavors and textures to find your perfect combination.