Prawn crackers are a popular snack that can be found in many households. But what happens when you have too many prawn crackers and don’t want them to go to waste?
Can you freeze them?
The answer is yes! Freezing prawn crackers is a great way to extend their shelf life and ensure that you always have a crispy snack on hand.
In this article, we’ll explore the best way to freeze prawn crackers, how long they can be stored, and some tips for reheating them.
So, let’s dive in and learn more about freezing prawn crackers!
Can You Freeze Prawn Crackers?
Yes, you can freeze prawn crackers for up to three months. The best way to do this is by transferring the prawn crackers into a freezer bag, sealing the bag, and removing as much excess air as possible. Once sealed, transfer the bag to the freezer.
It’s important to note that unopened packets of prawn crackers can last up to one year in a cool, dry, and dark place. However, if opened, they can only last in the fridge for two to three days if stored properly. To keep them safe for longer periods, ensure they are sealed in an air-tight container and stored in the fridge.
If you plan to use them much later, prawn crackers can be frozen. They freeze perfectly and do not stick together. They don’t retain ice and don’t need defrosting. They are as crisp as when they were delivered.
Why Freeze Prawn Crackers?
Freezing prawn crackers is a great way to extend their shelf life and ensure that they remain fresh and crispy for longer. This is especially useful if you have leftover prawn crackers from a Chinese takeaway or if you want to stock up on them for future use.
By freezing prawn crackers, you can prevent them from going stale or losing their texture. They do not retain any moisture or ice crystals, which means that they remain as crispy as they were when you first bought them. Additionally, frozen prawn crackers can be easily picked out individually from the bag without sticking to each other.
Another advantage of freezing prawn crackers is that it allows you to save money by buying them in bulk. You can simply freeze the excess crackers and use them as needed, rather than having to throw them away if they go stale.
How To Freeze Prawn Crackers Properly
Freezing prawn crackers is a great way to extend their shelf life and keep them fresh for longer. Here’s how to freeze prawn crackers properly:
1. Transfer the prawn crackers into a freezer bag before sealing the bag tightly. Make sure to remove as much excess air as possible to prevent freezer burn.
2. Label the bag with the date of freezing and the expiration date, which is three months from the date of freezing.
3. Place the bag of prawn crackers in the freezer, making sure it is not placed in a spot where it can be crushed or damaged.
4. When you’re ready to eat them, remove the bag from the freezer and let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes to allow the crackers to thaw slightly.
5. Preheat your oven to 180°C and spread the prawn crackers on a baking tray in a single layer.
6. Bake the prawn crackers for 5-7 minutes or until they are crispy and golden brown.
7. Serve immediately and enjoy your freshly baked prawn crackers!
It’s important to note that once you have thawed prawn crackers, you should not refreeze them as this can affect their texture and flavor. Also, avoid freezing prawn crackers that have already been opened as they may become mushy when frozen.
How Long Can You Store Frozen Prawn Crackers?
Frozen prawn crackers can last for up to three months in the freezer. However, it’s important to keep in mind that food can start to lose texture and flavor after this time, resulting in a diminished quality of the prawn crackers. While three months is not a hard and fast rule, it’s wise to work with it as a general rule of thumb.
To store frozen prawn crackers, transfer them into a freezer bag, seal the bag, and remove as much excess air as possible. Once sealed, transfer the bag to the freezer. When you’re ready to use them, simply take them out of the freezer and use them as you would with fresh prawn crackers.
It’s worth noting that homemade prawn crackers without preservatives will last for two to three months if frozen. However, if preservatives are added, they can last as long as nine months to one year. This is why commercial prawn crackers have a long shelf life.
Tips For Reheating Frozen Prawn Crackers
When reheating frozen prawn crackers, it’s important to ensure that they are heated through to a minimum temperature of 82 degrees Celsius. Here are some tips for reheating frozen prawn crackers:
1. Preheat your oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit (120 degrees Celsius).
2. Remove the frozen prawn crackers from the freezer and place them on a baking sheet.
3. Bake the prawn crackers in the preheated oven for 5-7 minutes or until they are heated through.
4. Alternatively, you can reheat the prawn crackers in a microwave. Simply place them on a microwave-safe plate and heat them for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until they are heated through.
5. Avoid overcooking the prawn crackers as this can cause them to become dry and lose their crispiness.
6. Serve the reheated prawn crackers immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.
By following these tips, you can enjoy delicious and crispy prawn crackers even after they have been frozen.
Other Ways To Use Frozen Prawn Crackers
If you have a stockpile of frozen prawn crackers that you don’t know what to do with, here are some creative ways to use them in your cooking:
1. Prawn Cracker Crust: Crush the frozen prawn crackers and use them as a crust for fish or chicken. Simply coat the protein in egg wash and then in the crushed prawn crackers before baking or frying.
2. Prawn Cracker Breadcrumbs: Use the crushed prawn crackers as a substitute for breadcrumbs in recipes such as meatballs or stuffed mushrooms.
3. Prawn Cracker Topping: Sprinkle the crushed prawn crackers on top of casseroles or baked dishes for an added crunch and flavor.
4. Prawn Cracker Dipper: Crush the frozen prawn crackers and use them as a dipper for hummus or other dips.
5. Prawn Cracker Salad Topper: Crush the frozen prawn crackers and sprinkle them on top of salads for an added crunch and texture.
With these creative ideas, you can make sure that your stockpile of frozen prawn crackers doesn’t go to waste and that you can enjoy their crispy texture and delicious flavor in a variety of dishes.