Gravy is a delicious and versatile sauce that can elevate any meal.
Traditionally, it’s made using pan drippings from roasted or fried meat, but what if you don’t have any drippings on hand?
Fear not, because you can make gravy using beef stock cubes! These little cubes of flavor are a pantry staple that can be used to create a rich and savory gravy in just a few minutes.
In this article, we’ll explore the world of gravy made from beef stock cubes and show you how to make it yourself.
So, grab your apron and let’s get started!
Can You Make Gravy With Beef Stock Cubes?
Yes, you absolutely can make gravy with beef stock cubes! In fact, using both chicken and beef stock cubes can make your gravy even better.
Making gravy from stock or bouillon is quick and easy, and it can be whipped up in just a few minutes. While traditional gravy is made using pan drippings, not every meal provides you with that option. Luckily, beef stock cubes are a great alternative that can provide a flavorful sauce for any meal.
To make gravy using beef stock cubes, start by heating the stock and bouillon cubes (if using) in the microwave until hot and the bouillon has dissolved. Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan and add flour and spices. Cook the flour and whisk until a rue has formed (about a minute). Slowly add the hot stock to the butter mixture, whisking to combine. Cook until boiling and thick, stirring often.
You can also use beef broth or onion powder instead of bouillon cubes if you prefer. Simply combine butter, beef broth, onion powder, and garlic powder in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and bring to a simmer. In a small bowl or liquid measuring cup, combine cornstarch and water, stirring until well combined. While whisking the broth constantly, slowly add cornstarch mixture to the saucepan. Add beef bouillon (or Kosher salt) and pepper to taste. Allow to simmer 2-3 minutes.
Gravy made from beef stock cubes may not be exactly the same as traditional gravy made from pan drippings, but it’s still a delicious and easy alternative that can be used for any meal. Once you’ve made gravy using beef stock cubes, you’ll be able to provide a delectable condiment to any meal you’d like without having to roast an entire joint of meat first.
What Are Beef Stock Cubes And How Do They Work?
Beef stock cubes are dehydrated cubes made from natural flavors, salt, MSG, and fat added. They are typically used as a substitute for beef broth or stock in recipes. The cubes are easy to use and can be added to boiling water to dissolve quickly. They are also used to add flavor to soups, sauces, and gravies.
When using beef stock cubes in gravy, the cubes are dissolved in hot water or heated with the broth until they dissolve completely. The dissolved mixture is then added to a rue made from butter, flour, and spices. The mixture is whisked until it thickens and boils. The beef stock cubes provide a rich, savory flavor to the gravy that can be adjusted to taste by adding more or less of the cubes.
The Benefits Of Using Beef Stock Cubes For Gravy
There are several benefits of using beef stock cubes for gravy. Firstly, they are a convenient and affordable option that can be easily found in most grocery stores. They are also shelf-stable, meaning that they can be stored for long periods without spoiling. This makes them a great pantry staple to have on hand for last-minute meal preparations.
Another benefit is that beef stock cubes provide a rich and savory flavor that can enhance the taste of any dish. They are made from concentrated beef broth, which means that they contain a high level of flavor that can be easily incorporated into your gravy. This is particularly useful if you don’t have access to pan drippings or if you’re looking for a quick and easy way to add flavor to your meals.
Using beef stock cubes also allows you to control the amount of salt and seasoning in your gravy. Many store-bought gravies contain high levels of sodium and other additives, which can be detrimental to your health. By making your own gravy using beef stock cubes, you can adjust the seasoning to suit your taste preferences and dietary requirements.
Finally, using beef stock cubes for gravy is a great way to reduce food waste. Instead of throwing away leftover meat drippings, you can use beef stock cubes to create a delicious sauce that can be used for future meals. This not only saves you money but also helps to reduce your environmental impact.
How To Make Gravy With Beef Stock Cubes
If you want to make gravy with beef stock cubes, there are a few simple steps to follow. First, crumble the stock cubes into a heat-proof jug and add boiling water. Stir until the cubes have dissolved.
Next, heat butter in a pan over medium-high heat until melted. Add flour and onion powder, and stir to combine with the butter to form a paste. Allow it to cook for a few minutes (you can actually allow it to brown a little at this stage if you like brown gravy).
Slowly start to add the stock around 1/4 cup at a time. Mix it in well each time you add some, and allow the gravy to thicken before adding more. You can whisk the gravy to make it really smooth. Once all the liquid has been added, continue heating and stirring for around 2 minutes while the gravy thickens.
Taste and add salt and pepper if needed during this stage. You can also adjust the consistency of the gravy by adding more or less liquid depending on how thick or thin you want it.
Using both chicken and beef stock cubes can add an extra layer of flavor to your gravy. By following these simple steps, you’ll be able to make delicious gravy using beef stock cubes that will enhance any meal. So, next time you’re in need of a quick and easy sauce for your food, try making gravy with beef stock cubes!
Tips For Enhancing The Flavor Of Your Beef Stock Cube Gravy
While beef stock cube gravy is already delicious on its own, there are a few tips and tricks that can help enhance its flavor even more. Here are some ideas:
1. Add some herbs: Adding dried or fresh herbs such as thyme, rosemary, or sage can add a pop of flavor to your gravy. Simply sprinkle a pinch of your favorite herbs into the gravy as it cooks.
2. Use red wine: Adding a splash of red wine to your beef stock cube gravy can give it a rich, complex flavor. Simply add a few tablespoons of red wine to the gravy as it simmers and allow it to cook down for a few minutes.
3. Sauté some onions: Sautéing onions in butter or oil before adding the flour and stock can add a sweet, caramelized flavor to your gravy. Simply cook diced onions in butter or oil until soft and translucent, then proceed with the recipe as usual.
4. Add Worcestershire sauce: Worcestershire sauce is a savory, tangy sauce that pairs well with beef. Adding a few dashes to your beef stock cube gravy can give it an extra punch of flavor.
5. Use homemade stock: While beef stock cubes are convenient, using homemade beef stock can take your gravy to the next level. Simply simmer beef bones, vegetables, and herbs in water for several hours to make a rich, flavorful stock that will elevate your gravy.
Alternative Uses For Beef Stock Cubes In Your Cooking Repertoire.
Aside from making gravy, beef stock cubes can be used in a variety of ways to add flavor to your cooking. Here are some alternative uses for beef stock cubes in your cooking repertoire:
1. Soups and Stews – Use beef stock cubes to add depth of flavor to your soups and stews. Simply dissolve a cube in hot water and add it to your recipe.
2. Sauces and Gravies – As mentioned earlier, beef stock cubes can be used to make delicious sauces and gravies. They add a rich, savory flavor that can elevate any dish.
3. Marinades – Dissolve a beef stock cube in warm water and use it as a base for marinades. The saltiness and umami flavor will help tenderize the meat and infuse it with delicious flavor.
4. Rice and Grains – Add a beef stock cube to the water when cooking rice or other grains for an extra boost of flavor.
5. Roasted Vegetables – Dissolve a beef stock cube in hot water and use it to coat your vegetables before roasting them. This will add a rich, savory flavor to your veggies that will make them even more delicious.
6. Casseroles – Beef stock cubes can be used to add depth of flavor to casseroles. Simply dissolve a cube in hot water and add it to the casserole before baking.
By incorporating beef stock cubes into your cooking repertoire, you can easily enhance the flavor of your dishes without having to spend hours cooking or using expensive ingredients. Experiment with different ways to use beef stock cubes in your favorite recipes and discover new ways to make them even more delicious.