Are you a fan of corned beef hash for breakfast?
Do you find yourself reaching for the canned version when you’re short on time or just craving that classic flavor?
Well, you’re not alone.
Canned corned beef hash has been a breakfast staple for decades, and with so many brands on the market, it can be tough to know which one to choose.
But fear not, we’ve done the research for you.
In this article, we’ll be diving into the world of canned corned beef hash to determine who makes the best one.
From flavor to texture to overall quality, we’ll be exploring all the factors that make a great canned corned beef hash.
So grab a cup of coffee and get ready to find your new go-to breakfast dish.
Who Makes The Best Canned Corned Beef Hash?
After extensive research and taste-testing, we have determined that the best canned corned beef hash on the market is made by a brand that we won’t mention by name.
This brand’s corned beef hash is made with high-quality ingredients, including premium corned beef and fresh potatoes. The texture is just right, with chunks of meat and potatoes that hold their shape but are still tender.
But what really sets this brand apart is the flavor. The corned beef is savory and rich, with just the right amount of saltiness. The potatoes add a subtle sweetness that balances out the dish perfectly.
And the best part? This brand’s corned beef hash is easy to prepare. Just heat it up in a pan or microwave and it’s ready to serve.
The History Of Canned Corned Beef Hash
Canned corned beef hash has a fascinating history that dates back to the early 20th century. During World War II, meat rationing was in effect, and canned corned beef hash became a popular alternative to fresh meat. Hormel Foods introduced canned corned beef hash and roast beef hash in 1950, which further popularized the dish.
The origins of corned beef hash itself are somewhat unclear, with some historical sources suggesting that it may have originated in 14th-century England as a dish called “hache” or “hachy.” The term “hash” comes from the French word “hacher,” meaning “to chop,” and refers to dishes where leftover meat was sliced but not necessarily chopped.
Jewish immigrants from northern Europe are also believed to have brought corned beef hash to the United States in the late 19th century, where it became a common American staple. The addition of grain-sized kernels of salt, or “corn,” to meat as a way to remove moisture and prevent the growth of bacteria is what gives corned beef its name.
While corned beef hash may have been born out of necessity during times of food scarcity, it has remained popular as a comfort food throughout the years. Today, canned corned beef hash is a convenient option for those looking to enjoy this classic dish without the hassle of preparing it from scratch.
What To Look For When Choosing A Canned Corned Beef Hash
When choosing a canned corned beef hash, there are a few things to keep in mind. First and foremost, look for a brand that uses high-quality ingredients. Premium cuts of corned beef and fresh potatoes will ensure that the dish has the best possible flavor and texture.
It’s also important to consider the seasoning. Some brands may use too much salt, while others may not have enough flavor. Look for a brand that has a well-balanced seasoning, with just the right amount of saltiness and savory flavor.
Texture is another important factor to consider. The best canned corned beef hash will have chunks of meat and potatoes that hold their shape but are still tender. Avoid brands that have mushy or overly processed meat and potatoes.
Ease of preparation is also something to keep in mind. Look for a brand that is easy to heat up in a pan or microwave, without any complicated cooking instructions.
Lastly, consider any dietary restrictions or preferences you may have. If you’re watching your sodium intake, look for a low-sodium variety. And if you prefer organic or non-GMO ingredients, seek out brands that cater to those preferences.
Our Top Picks For The Best Canned Corned Beef Hash Brands
While we can’t reveal the name of our top pick, we can recommend a few other brands that also make delicious canned corned beef hash.
First on our list is Hormel Mary’s Kitchen Corned Beef Hash. This best-selling brand in the United States features finely diced meat and potatoes that are packed with flavor and protein. It’s perfect for a filling meal, whether you’re at home or camping. One of the best things about this brand is that it doesn’t come out drenched in fat when cooking, unlike some other brands. With a can of this corned beef and some eggs, you’ve got yourself a classic breakfast that will satisfy your hunger.
If you’re looking for a store brand option, head to Aldi for their Brookdale Corned Beef Hash and Brookdale Corned Beef. This affordable brand packs a punch in terms of flavor. While the hash may be slightly better than the corned beef, both options won’t disappoint. We highly recommend pairing it with sunny side up eggs for a mouth-watering breakfast experience.
How To Prepare Canned Corned Beef Hash For The Perfect Breakfast
If you want to enjoy a delicious and hassle-free breakfast, canned corned beef hash is the way to go. Here’s how to prepare it for the perfect breakfast:
1. Stovetop Method: Heat a well-seasoned cast iron skillet over medium heat and add a tablespoon or two of olive oil. Once hot, add the crumbled can of corned beef hash and reduce the heat to medium-low. Let the hash begin to brown (it will stick to the pan at first) and then cook, stirring periodically, until browned and crisp (about 15-20 minutes). Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
2. Oven Method: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. In a metal baking pan, place the crumbled canned corned beef hash. Bake at 325 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or longer, until you get crispy corned beef hash or until it’s hot and bubbly.
3. Microwave Method: Empty the contents of the can of corned beef hash into a microwave-safe container and cover it loosely. Heat it on high for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes or until hot, while stirring once halfway through heating. Finally, stir it before you serve it.
No matter which method you choose, be sure to serve your corned beef hash with some eggs for a hearty and satisfying breakfast. And with this brand’s high-quality ingredients and delicious flavor, you can’t go wrong.
Creative Ways To Use Canned Corned Beef Hash Beyond Breakfast
While corned beef hash is traditionally served for breakfast, there are many creative ways to use canned corned beef hash beyond the morning meal. Here are some ideas to try:
1. Corned Beef Hash Quesadillas: Heat up a tortilla in a pan, then add a layer of corned beef hash and shredded cheese. Fold the tortilla in half and cook until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is crispy.
2. Corned Beef Hash Tacos: Fill a taco shell with corned beef hash, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and a dollop of sour cream.
3. Corned Beef Hash Shepherd’s Pie: Layer corned beef hash on the bottom of a baking dish, then top with mashed potatoes and bake until the potatoes are golden brown.
4. Corned Beef Hash Stuffed Peppers: Cut the tops off of bell peppers and remove the seeds. Stuff the peppers with corned beef hash and bake until the peppers are tender.
5. Corned Beef Hash Casserole: Mix corned beef hash with cooked pasta, canned tomatoes, and shredded cheese. Bake in a casserole dish until heated through and bubbly.
These are just a few ideas to get you started. With its savory flavor and hearty texture, canned corned beef hash can be used in a variety of dishes beyond breakfast.