Bacon grease is a versatile ingredient that can add a delicious smoky flavor to many dishes. But can you use it to cook sausage?
The answer is yes! In fact, cooking sausage in bacon grease can take your breakfast game to the next level.
In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of using bacon grease in your cooking and provide some tips for making the perfect sausage and bacon breakfast.
So, grab your skillet and let’s get cooking!
Can You Cook Sausage In Bacon Grease?
As mentioned above, cooking sausage in bacon grease is not only possible but also a great way to add extra flavor to your breakfast. The process is simple: cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned and crumbly, then transfer it to a plate, leaving the drippings in the skillet. Add bacon grease to the sausage drippings and whisk in flour until mixture becomes paste-like and turns golden brown. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth, bring to a simmer, then return sausage to the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cook until mixture is smooth and thick, and voila! You have a delicious breakfast dish.
The Benefits Of Cooking With Bacon Grease
Using bacon grease for cooking has several benefits. First, it is high in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, which are considered good fats. This is in contrast to butter, which is higher in saturated fat. Additionally, bacon grease does not contain trans fat, which is considered a bad fat and can increase the risk of heart disease.
Bacon grease is also a flavorful oil that can enhance the taste of your dishes. It can be used as a substitute for butter when frying potatoes and scrambling eggs, as well as for adding pork flavor to caramelized onions. It can also be used as a base for sautéing vegetables or for roasting chicken breasts.
Furthermore, bacon grease has a high smoke point, which means it can be heated to high temperatures without burning or smoking. This makes it ideal for frying and sautéing.
Another benefit of bacon grease is its potential healing properties. It can be used to soothe small cuts and scrapes by rubbing the cooled grease on the affected area. It can also be used to remove splinters by rubbing the grease over the splinter and covering it with a bandage overnight.
However, it is important to note that bacon grease should be used in moderation due to its high saturated fat content. Excess consumption of saturated fat has been linked to an increased risk of heart disease and stroke. Therefore, it is recommended to use bacon grease sparingly and balance it with other healthy fats in your diet.
How To Properly Cook Sausage In Bacon Grease
If you want to cook sausage in bacon grease, it’s important to do it properly to ensure that the sausage is cooked evenly and comes out delicious. Here are some tips on how to do it right:
1. Remove the sausage from the fridge around 20 minutes before cooking. This helps the sausage cook more evenly and reduces the chance of the skins breaking.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the sausage. Cook until browned and crumbly, which usually takes around 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Transfer the sausage to a plate, leaving the drippings in the skillet. Add bacon grease to the sausage drippings and reduce the heat to medium.
4. Whisk in flour and stir constantly until mixture becomes paste-like and turns golden brown, which usually takes around 5 minutes.
5. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth, then bring to a simmer.
6. Return the sausage to the skillet and season with salt and pepper.
7. Cook until mixture is smooth and thick, which usually takes around 10 to 15 minutes.
By following these steps, you can cook sausage in bacon grease like a pro and enjoy a delicious breakfast dish that’s full of flavor.
Tips For Achieving The Perfect Sausage And Bacon Breakfast
1. Use high-quality sausage and bacon: The quality of your ingredients can make all the difference in the taste and texture of your breakfast dish. Choose sausage and bacon that are made from high-quality meat, and avoid those that contain fillers or preservatives.
2. Cook the bacon first: If you plan on using both sausage and bacon in your breakfast dish, start by cooking the bacon first. This will allow you to use the bacon grease to cook the sausage, adding an extra layer of flavor.
3. Cook the sausage in the bacon grease: As mentioned above, cooking the sausage in the bacon grease will add extra flavor to your dish. Make sure to brown the sausage well on all sides, and use a spatula to break it up into crumbles as it cooks.
4. Use a cast iron skillet: A cast iron skillet is ideal for cooking both sausage and bacon, as it distributes heat evenly and retains it well. This will help ensure that your breakfast dish cooks evenly and doesn’t burn.
5. Add extra seasonings: To take your breakfast dish to the next level, consider adding extra seasonings such as garlic powder, onion powder, or smoked paprika. These will add depth of flavor and make your dish even more delicious.
6. Serve with eggs and toast: To complete your perfect sausage and bacon breakfast, serve it with scrambled eggs and toast. This will provide a well-rounded meal that is sure to satisfy even the hungriest of appetites.
By following these tips, you can create a delicious and satisfying breakfast dish that is sure to become a family favorite. So go ahead, cook your sausage in bacon grease and enjoy all the delicious flavors that come with it!
Other Dishes You Can Make With Bacon Grease
Apart from cooking sausage in bacon grease, there are countless other dishes that can be made with this flavorful ingredient. One classic use of bacon grease is for frying eggs, which gives them a delicious smoky taste. You can also use it to fry potatoes for a crispy and savory side dish.
Bacon grease can also be used to add a unique touch to your homemade soups and stews. Use it to sauté vegetables or make a roux for added depth of flavor. Similarly, it can be used in place of butter or oil in homemade crouton recipes to add an extra burst of flavor to your salads.
If you’re a fan of sheet-pan meals, try greasing your pan with bacon grease before baking for an added smokiness and meatiness. And if you’re into making your own condiments, try making bacon mayonnaise by mixing melted bacon fat with regular mayo for a delicious spread.
Finally, don’t forget about using bacon grease in your baked goods. It can be used as a substitute for butter or oil in recipes like cornbread, pancakes, and cookies for an extra layer of richness and flavor.
How To Store And Reuse Bacon Grease Safely
Storing and reusing bacon grease can be a great way to add flavor to your meals, but it’s important to do so safely. While some people may store their bacon grease in jars at room temperature, food safety experts recommend against this method if you intend to reuse the grease. The best place to store bacon grease is in the refrigerator or freezer.
To store bacon grease in the refrigerator, strain out any bits of leftover bacon with a coffee filter or mesh strainer before storing it in an airtight container. This will help the grease last longer, up to three months in the fridge. Keeping the container airtight will help it retain its quality for longer, and the fat will stay soft enough to scoop. Be sure to only pour fresh, strained fat into a new jar and use up what is in the old jar first – do not pour old used fat from your old stock on top of new fat.
If you plan to freeze your bacon grease, portion small amounts by letting the grease cool slightly and then strain and pour into freezer-safe containers. Pop them into the freezer and they will last indefinitely. Defrost them in the refrigerator overnight before using.
It’s important to note that storing bacon grease in the fridge or freezer does not mean that it will last forever. Stored in the fridge, your bacon grease is good for up to three months, while stored in the freezer, your grease is good for up to a year.
By following these simple steps, you can safely store and reuse your bacon grease to add extra flavor to your meals without any risk of foodborne illness.