Are you a fan of using leftover cooking grease to add flavor to your dishes? If so, you may be wondering if it’s possible to mix bacon and sausage grease together for an even more delicious result.
The answer is yes, and in this article, we’ll explore the possibilities of combining these two popular cooking fats.
From making gravies to sautéing vegetables, there are plenty of ways to repurpose your leftover bacon and sausage grease.
So, let’s dive in and discover the tasty potential of mixing these two savory ingredients!
Can You Mix Bacon And Sausage Grease?
Yes, you can mix bacon and sausage grease together. In fact, it’s a great way to add even more flavor to your cooking.
To mix the two, simply accumulate the desired amount of grease from both bacon and sausage separately. Once you have the desired amount of each, combine them in a container and mix well.
Keep in mind that bacon grease tends to be more pure than sausage grease, so it’s important to store the mixture in the fridge if it’s not going to be used right away.
The Benefits Of Using Bacon And Sausage Grease In Your Cooking
Bacon and sausage grease are often discarded after cooking, but they can actually be a delicious and frugal addition to your cooking. Here are some benefits of using bacon and sausage grease in your cooking:
1. Adds Flavor: Bacon and sausage grease are packed with flavor, making them an excellent substitute for oils or butter in your cooking. They can add a smoky, savory taste to dishes like eggs, vegetables, and popcorn.
2. Enhances Texture: Bacon and sausage grease have a high smoke point, which means they can be heated to high temperatures without burning. This makes them perfect for frying or sautéing foods, giving them a crispy texture.
3. Nutritious: While bacon and sausage grease are high in saturated fat, they also contain protein and essential amino acids that our bodies need. A 3-ounce serving of bacon contains 29 grams of protein, while sausage offers 13 grams per serving.
4. Versatile: Bacon and sausage grease can be used in a variety of dishes, from breakfast foods like pancakes and waffles to dinner dishes like roasted chicken and caramelized onions.
5. Easy to Store: Bacon and sausage grease can be stored in the fridge or freezer for later use, making it a convenient ingredient to have on hand.
How To Safely Store And Reuse Cooking Grease
Cooking grease, including bacon and sausage grease, can be safely stored and reused if proper precautions are taken. While many home cooks may have grown up storing their extra bacon grease in jars at room temperature, food safety experts recommend storing it in the refrigerator or freezer to prevent bacterial growth and ensure its quality.
To safely store and reuse cooking grease, follow these steps:
1. Strain the grease: Before storing the grease, make sure to strain out any bits of leftover bacon or sausage with a coffee filter or mesh strainer. This will help prevent the buildup of bacteria and ensure the grease stays fresh.
2. Choose the right container: Use an airtight container made of glass or plastic to store the grease. Avoid using metal containers as they can react with the grease and cause it to spoil.
3. Store in the refrigerator or freezer: Bacon grease can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three months and in the freezer indefinitely. Sausage grease can also be stored in the same way. However, keep in mind that bacon grease tends to be more pure than sausage grease, so it’s important to store the mixture in the fridge if it’s not going to be used right away.
4. Label the container: Make sure to label the container with the date it was stored and what type of grease it contains. This will help you keep track of how long it has been stored and prevent confusion when using it in recipes.
5. Reuse the grease: When reusing cooking grease, make sure to heat it up to at least 165°F before using it again. This will kill any bacteria that may have grown while it was stored.
Combining Bacon And Sausage Grease: Tips And Tricks
If you’re looking to combine bacon and sausage grease, here are some tips and tricks to keep in mind:
1. Use in moderation: While combining bacon and sausage grease can add an extra layer of flavor to your dishes, it’s important to use it in moderation. Both types of grease are high in fat and calories, so it’s best to use them sparingly.
2. Store properly: As mentioned earlier, bacon grease tends to be more pure than sausage grease. Therefore, it’s important to store the mixture in the fridge if it’s not going to be used right away. This will help prevent any bacteria growth or spoilage.
3. Use in a variety of dishes: Bacon and sausage grease can be used in a variety of dishes, such as gravies, soups, stews, and even baked goods. Experiment with different recipes and see how the combination of the two greases can enhance the flavor of your dishes.
4. Be mindful of the salt content: Both bacon and sausage are typically high in sodium, so when using their greases together, it’s important to be mindful of the salt content in your dish. Consider reducing the amount of salt you would normally use to avoid an overly salty dish.
5. Try different ratios: Depending on your personal preference, you may want to experiment with different ratios of bacon and sausage grease. Try using equal parts of each or adjusting the ratio to suit your taste buds.
Recipes To Try Using Mixed Bacon And Sausage Grease
If you’re looking to try out some recipes using mixed bacon and sausage grease, here are a few ideas to get you started:
1. Bacon and Sausage Gravy: This classic southern dish is made even more flavorful with the combination of bacon and sausage grease. Serve it over biscuits or potatoes for a hearty breakfast.
2. Bacon Stuffing: This Thanksgiving staple gets a delicious upgrade with the addition of bacon grease. The bacon adds a smoky flavor to the stuffing that pairs perfectly with turkey.
3. Fried Rice: Use mixed bacon and sausage grease to fry up some rice with vegetables, eggs, and soy sauce for a tasty and filling meal.
4. Roasted Vegetables: Toss your favorite vegetables in mixed bacon and sausage grease before roasting in the oven for a savory and flavorful side dish.
5. Grilled Cheese: Spread mixed bacon and sausage grease on the outside of your bread before making a grilled cheese sandwich for an extra crispy, flavorful crust.
Remember, when using mixed bacon and sausage grease in your cooking, it’s important to adjust the seasoning accordingly as the grease will already contain salt and other flavors. With these recipes, you’ll be able to take your cooking to the next level with the delicious combination of bacon and sausage grease.
Conclusion: The Delicious Possibilities Of Mixing Bacon And Sausage Grease
Mixing bacon and sausage grease opens up a world of delicious possibilities in cooking. The combination of these two greases adds a unique flavor to any dish, making it a favorite among food enthusiasts.
One of the most popular uses of mixed bacon and sausage grease is for making gravy. The mixture of the two greases creates a rich and savory flavor that is perfect for biscuits and gravy. It also makes an excellent base for soups and stews, adding depth and richness to the flavor profile.
Another great use for mixed bacon and sausage grease is for frying. The combination of these two greases creates a high smoke point, making it ideal for frying foods like chicken, fish, and vegetables. The added flavor from the grease enhances the taste of the food, making it even more delicious.
Mixed bacon and sausage grease can also be used as a seasoning for meats and vegetables. Simply brush it onto your favorite meats or vegetables before grilling or roasting to add a burst of flavor. It can also be used as a marinade or a rub for meats, adding an extra layer of richness to the dish.