Chocolate and bacon are two of the most beloved foods in the world, so it’s no surprise that someone had the brilliant idea to combine them.
Chocolate covered bacon is a delicious and indulgent treat that can be served as an appetizer or dessert. But with the combination of meat and chocolate, many people wonder if it needs to be refrigerated.
In this article, we’ll explore the answer to this question and provide some tips for storing and making the perfect chocolate covered bacon.
So sit back, relax, and get ready to learn all about this decadent treat!
Does Chocolate Covered Bacon Need To Be Refrigerated?
The short answer is no, chocolate covered bacon does not need to be refrigerated. However, it’s important to store it in a cool, dry place.
If you choose to refrigerate it, the chocolate may become hard and the bacon may become chewy. This is because the cold temperature can affect the texture of both the chocolate and the bacon.
It’s important to note that if you make candied bacon before dipping it in chocolate, it cannot be kept at room temperature. Store it refrigerated or frozen until it is ready to eat.
Raw bacon should be refrigerated for a week to a month, and cooked bacon should be kept in the freezer for six months. Depending on the type of bacon, the shelf life of bacon in the refrigerator is 45 days and the freezer is up to one month.
Cooking bacon is not only a great way to extend its shelf life but also a great way to extend its cooking time. A cooked Canadian bacon can be kept refrigerated for 34 days or frozen for 48 weeks.
Other types of bacon, such as pancetta, turkey bacon, and beef bacon, can be stored in the same way that regular bacon is stored for the same amount of time.
What Is Chocolate Covered Bacon?
Chocolate covered bacon is a unique and decadent treat that combines the salty and savory flavor of bacon with the sweet and rich taste of chocolate. It can be made as an appetizer or dessert and is perfect for those who love to experiment with different flavor combinations.
To make the perfect chocolate covered bacon, it’s important to ensure that the bacon is crisp but not burnt. The best way to achieve this is by cooking the bacon in the oven, which also creates less mess. Once the bacon is cooked, it should be completely cooled and frozen before being coated in chocolate.
There are different ways to coat the bacon in chocolate, including dipping it in melted chocolate or drizzling the chocolate over the bacon using a spoon. While the chocolate is still wet, toppings such as flaked sea salt or chopped toasted nuts can be added for extra flavor and texture.
Chocolate covered bacon can be stored in a cool, dry place and does not need to be refrigerated. However, if candied bacon is used before dipping it in chocolate, it must be stored refrigerated or frozen until ready to eat. This unique treat can be made with different types of bacon, such as pancetta, turkey bacon, and beef bacon, all of which can be stored in the same way as regular bacon.
The Ingredients And Preparation Process
To make chocolate covered bacon, you will need the following ingredients:
– 1 lb Thick Cut Bacon
– 1/2 cup Semi Sweet Chocolate
– 1 tsp Shortening
– 1/8 cup White Chocolate
To begin, cook the bacon according to package directions until it is crispy. Once cooked, drain the fat and let the bacon cool. Pat both sides of the bacon with a paper towel to remove any lingering fat.
Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. If using real chocolate, temper it so that it remains shiny and hard at room temperature. If using chocolate candy coating, simply melting it is fine.
Holding a strip of bacon at the top, carefully dip most of it into the melted chocolate. If you have trouble dipping the bacon, use a spoon to pour melted chocolate over it until both sides are covered to your liking. Lay the chocolate-dipped bacon on a tray or plate covered with waxed paper.
While the chocolate is still wet, sprinkle the top with flaked sea salt, chopped toasted nuts, or any other toppings you’d like. Repeat until all of the bacon is covered with chocolate.
Refrigerate the tray to set the chocolate for about 15 minutes. Once set, let the bacon come to room temperature before serving. Alternatively, you can freeze leftover candied bacon by allowing it to cool completely before wrapping it tightly and freezing it for up to 3 months.
How To Store Chocolate Covered Bacon
To store chocolate covered bacon, it’s best to keep it in a cool, dry place. If you want to store it in the fridge, make sure to keep it in an airtight container to prevent moisture from affecting the texture of the bacon and chocolate.
If you’ve used homemade candied bacon to make your chocolate treat, it’s important to store it in the fridge or freezer until you’re ready to dip it in chocolate. Once it’s coated in chocolate, it can be stored at room temperature or in the fridge for up to four days.
To store chocolate covered bacon at room temperature, place it on a flat surface lined with wax paper and cover it with plastic wrap or an airtight container. Keep it away from direct sunlight and heat sources.
If you need to transport chocolate covered bacon, make sure to keep it in an insulated container with ice packs to prevent melting.
Remember that the shelf life of the bacon used to make chocolate covered bacon will also affect how long it can be stored. Always check for signs of spoilage before consuming.
Tips For Making The Perfect Chocolate Covered Bacon
If you’re ready to take on the challenge of making chocolate covered bacon, here are some tips to ensure that it turns out perfectly:
1. Choose the right bacon: Thick-cut bacon is the best option for chocolate covered bacon because it holds up well to the weight of the chocolate. It’s also important to choose high-quality bacon that is not too fatty.
2. Cook the bacon until it’s crispy: Crispy bacon will hold up better when dipped in chocolate and will add a nice crunch to the final product.
3. Remove excess fat: After cooking the bacon, make sure to remove any excess fat by patting it down with a paper towel. This will help the chocolate stick better and prevent it from becoming greasy.
4. Temper the chocolate: If you’re using real chocolate, it’s important to temper it so that it remains shiny and hard at room temperature. This involves heating and cooling the chocolate to specific temperatures, which can be done using a double boiler or microwave.
5. Use toppings: Sprinkle your chocolate dipped bacon with flaked sea salt, chopped toasted nuts, or any other toppings you’d like while the chocolate is still wet. This will add extra flavor and texture to your creation.
6. Chill before serving: Once you’ve coated your bacon in chocolate and added toppings, refrigerate it for about 15 minutes until the chocolate has set. This will help prevent the chocolate from melting when you handle it.
By following these tips, you’ll be well on your way to creating the perfect chocolate covered bacon that is sure to impress your friends and family.
Serving Suggestions And Variations.
Now that we know how to store chocolate covered bacon, let’s talk about how to serve it and some variations you can try.
Chocolate covered bacon can be served as an appetizer or a dessert. The saltiness of the bacon makes it a great appetizer, while the sweetness of the chocolate makes it a perfect dessert. It pairs well with a glass of Chardonnay or a cup of coffee.
To serve as an appetizer, cut the chocolate covered bacon into bite-sized pieces and arrange them on a platter with toothpicks. You can also add some toppings such as flaked sea salt or chopped toasted nuts for extra flavor.
To serve as a dessert, cut the chocolate covered bacon into larger pieces and serve it on a plate with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You can also drizzle some caramel sauce over the top for added sweetness.
If you want to try some variations, here are some ideas:
– Spicy Chocolate Covered Bacon: Add some cayenne pepper or chili powder to the melted chocolate for a spicy kick.
– Peanut Butter Chocolate Covered Bacon: Spread some peanut butter on the bacon before dipping it in chocolate for a delicious combination of flavors.
– Maple Bacon Chocolate Covered Bacon: Brush the bacon with maple syrup before baking it in the oven for a maple flavor that pairs well with chocolate.
The possibilities are endless when it comes to chocolate covered bacon. Get creative and experiment with different flavors to find your favorite combination.