Are you tired of cooking bacon chops on the stovetop and dealing with all the grease splatters?
Look no further than your trusty oven! Cooking bacon chops in the oven is not only a healthier option, but it also allows for a hands-off approach to cooking.
Plus, you can easily cook other sides in the oven at the same time for a complete meal.
In this article, we’ll go over different methods for cooking bacon chops in the oven and provide some delicious recipe ideas to try out.
So preheat your oven and get ready to elevate your bacon chop game!
How To Cook Bacon Chops In The Oven?
There are a few different methods for cooking bacon chops in the oven, depending on your preferences and the equipment you have available. Here are three options to consider:
1. Baking: Preheat your oven to 375°F. Place the bacon chops on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until the internal temperature reaches 145°F.
2. Broiling: Preheat your oven to broil. Place the bacon chops on a broiler pan or wire rack set over a baking sheet. Broil for 5-7 minutes per side, until browned and crispy.
3. Roasting: Preheat your oven to 400°F. Place the bacon chops in a roasting pan or cast iron skillet. Roast for 20-25 minutes, flipping once halfway through, until the internal temperature reaches 145°F.
No matter which method you choose, be sure to season your bacon chops with salt and pepper before cooking. You can also add other seasonings or marinades if desired.
Why Cook Bacon Chops In The Oven?
Cooking bacon chops in the oven is a great option for a few reasons. Firstly, it’s a hands-off cooking method that allows you to multitask and prepare other parts of your meal while the bacon chops cook. Secondly, cooking them in the oven allows for even cooking and crisping of the skin, without the need for added oil or fat. This makes for a healthier option compared to pan-frying or grilling. Lastly, using the oven also allows for easy cleanup – simply discard the parchment paper or aluminum foil and wash the baking sheet or roasting pan. Overall, cooking bacon chops in the oven is a convenient and delicious way to prepare this flavorful cut of meat.
Method 1: Baking Bacon Chops On A Rack
Baking bacon chops on a rack is a great option if you want your bacon to be crispy and evenly cooked. Here’s how to do it:
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F.
2. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy cleanup. Place an oven-safe rack on top of the baking sheet.
3. Lay out your bacon chops on the rack, making sure they are not touching each other. This will allow the hot air to circulate around the bacon chops and cook them evenly.
4. Bake the bacon chops in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the bacon starts to brown and crisp up. You can flip them over halfway through if you want them to be extra crispy on both sides.
5. Check the internal temperature of the bacon chops using a meat thermometer. They should reach an internal temperature of 145°F for safe consumption.
6. Once cooked to your liking, remove the bacon chops from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before serving.
Baking bacon chops on a rack is a great way to achieve crispy, evenly cooked bacon without having to worry about flipping it over or dealing with excess grease. Plus, using a rack allows any excess grease to drip off, making your bacon chops healthier and less greasy. Give it a try and see how it compares to other cooking methods!
Method 2: Baking Bacon Chops In A Pan
If you prefer to use a pan instead of baking in the oven, there is a method for that too. Here’s how to bake bacon chops in a pan:
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F.
2. Season your bacon chops with pepper, but no need to add extra salt.
3. Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
4. Sizzle and brown the bacon chops for 5 minutes, turning once.
5. Lift the bacon chops onto a plate.
6. Add butter to the same pan and let it melt until it looks foamy.
7. Stir in chopped onions and thyme, and fry very gently for 15 minutes until the onion is soft and golden.
8. Stir in marmalade, mustard, and stock, then simmer for 2 minutes until it starts to thicken to a sauce.
9. Add the bacon chops back to the pan, simmer for 3 more minutes, then serve.
This method allows you to cook the bacon chops in a pan first and then finish them off in the oven with the sauce. It’s a great way to infuse extra flavor into your dish and get perfectly cooked bacon chops every time. Remember to keep an eye on the heat and adjust as needed to prevent burning or sticking.
Tips For Perfectly Cooked Bacon Chops
To ensure that your bacon chops come out perfectly cooked every time, here are some tips to keep in mind:
1. Use a meat thermometer: The best way to ensure that your bacon chops are cooked to perfection is by using a meat thermometer. Insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the chop, making sure not to touch the bone. The internal temperature should reach 145°F.
2. Don’t overcook: It’s important not to overcook bacon chops, as they can become tough and dry. Keep a close eye on them while cooking and remove them from the oven as soon as they reach the desired temperature.
3. Let them rest: After cooking, let your bacon chops rest for a few minutes before serving. This allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, resulting in a more flavorful and tender chop.
4. Experiment with seasonings: While simple salt and pepper seasoning is delicious, don’t be afraid to experiment with other seasonings and marinades. Try adding garlic, rosemary, or even a sweet and tangy glaze for a unique flavor profile.
5. Consider using a brine: Brining your bacon chops before cooking can help to keep them moist and tender. Mix together water, salt, sugar, and any desired herbs or spices in a large bowl or container. Add the bacon chops and refrigerate for several hours or overnight before cooking.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your bacon chops come out perfectly cooked and full of flavor every time you make them in the oven.
Delicious Bacon Chop Recipe Ideas
Bacon chops are a versatile and delicious cut of meat that can be cooked in a variety of ways. Here are some recipe ideas to try:
1. Bacon Chop with Onion Marmalade: Season the bacon chops with pepper and brown them in a non-stick frying pan. In the same pan, cook onions and thyme until soft and golden, then stir in marmalade, mustard, and stock to make a sauce. Add the bacon chops back to the pan and simmer for a few minutes more. Serve with your favorite sides.
2. Crispy Bacon Chops: For extra crispy bacon chops, place them directly on the oven rack and bake at 375°F for 20-25 minutes, flipping once halfway through. The hot air of the oven will circulate around them, crisping the skins up perfectly.
3. Barbecue Bacon Chops: Wrap the bacon chops in bacon and brush them with your favorite barbecue sauce. Grill them until tender and juicy, then serve with your favorite sides.
4. Marinated Bacon Chops: Cut the bacon chops into chunks and marinate them in olive oil, orange zest and juice, and dried mixed herbs for 2-3 hours. Bake them in the oven with baby potatoes until cooked through, then serve with sautéed cabbage.
5. Grilled Barbecue Bacon Pork Chops: Make your own barbecue sauce by mixing ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mix some of the sauce with beer and brush it over the pork chops while grilling. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side until the internal temperature reaches 145°F.
No matter how you choose to cook your bacon chops, they are sure to be a crowd-pleaser at any mealtime. Experiment with different seasonings and sauces to find your favorite way to enjoy this delicious cut of meat.