Are you a ham lover who can’t resist buying Kentucky Legend products in bulk?
Do you often find yourself wondering if you can freeze your leftover ham to enjoy it later without compromising its taste and texture?
Well, the good news is that you can freeze Kentucky Legend ham and enjoy it for up to a year!
But, before you wrap it up and toss it in the freezer, there are a few things you need to know.
In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about freezing Kentucky Legend ham, including how long it lasts in the fridge and freezer, how to store it properly, and more.
So, let’s dive in!
Can You Freeze Kentucky Legend Ham?
Yes, you can freeze Kentucky Legend ham without affecting its taste or texture. Properly frozen ham can last in the freezer for up to a year, making it a great option for those who want to stock up on their favorite ham products.
However, it’s important to note that storing cooked ham in the refrigerator will only last for 3-5 days. So, if you have leftover ham that you want to freeze, it’s best to do so as soon as possible.
When freezing Kentucky Legend ham, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to help lock in its natural juices and prevent it from drying out. You can also place the ham in an air-tight container or a freezer-safe bag and label it with the date so you can easily track its age.
It’s recommended to enjoy frozen ham within six months, but it can last up to a year if stored properly.
How Long Does Kentucky Legend Ham Last In The Fridge And Freezer?
The shelf life of Kentucky Legend ham in the fridge and freezer varies depending on whether it is opened or unopened. If you have an unopened package of Kentucky Legend ham, it can last in the fridge for up to 5-7 days, or until the date on the package. However, if you have an opened package of ham, it’s best to consume it within 3-5 days.
If you want to extend the shelf life of your Kentucky Legend ham, you can freeze it. When stored in the freezer, unopened ham can last for up to six months. However, if you have opened the package, it’s recommended to consume it within 1-2 months for best quality.
When freezing Kentucky Legend ham, make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn. You can also place it in an air-tight container or a freezer-safe bag and label it with the date so you can easily track its age.
It’s important to note that while frozen ham is safe to eat beyond its recommended shelf life, its quality may deteriorate over time. So, it’s best to consume frozen ham within six months for optimal taste and texture.
Properly Storing Kentucky Legend Ham For Freezing
To properly store Kentucky Legend ham for freezing, follow these steps:
1. Make sure the ham is cooled and dry before wrapping it in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. This will help prevent ice crystals from forming and keep the ham fresh.
2. Place the wrapped ham in an air-tight container or a freezer-safe bag. This will help prevent freezer burn and keep the ham fresh for longer.
3. Label the container or bag with the date so you can easily track the age of the ham.
4. Store the ham in the freezer for up to a year, but it’s best to enjoy it within six months.
It’s important to note that unopened Kentucky Legend ham can be frozen in its original packaging, but leftover ham should be wrapped and stored properly to maintain its quality. Additionally, it’s important to avoid freezing cans labeled “refrigerate” as they are not safe for freezing.
By following these steps, you can ensure that your Kentucky Legend ham stays fresh and delicious for months to come.
Thawing Kentucky Legend Ham Safely
Thawing Kentucky Legend ham safely is crucial to ensure its quality and taste. The best way to thaw frozen ham is to do so gradually in the refrigerator. Plan for about four to six hours of thawing time per pound of ham. For instance, if you have a five-pound Kentucky Legend ham, it will take a full day (24 hours) to thaw it in the refrigerator.
It’s important to note that once the ham has thawed in the refrigerator, it can be kept for an additional three to five days before cooking. This means that you can thaw your ham ahead of time without worrying about cooking it immediately.
If you need to thaw your ham faster, there are a few tricks you can try. For smaller portions of ham, you can place them in a sealed plastic bag and submerge them in cold water. Change the water every 30 minutes until the ham is fully thawed. Alternatively, you can use the defrost setting on your microwave, but be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
It’s crucial to avoid thawing Kentucky Legend ham at room temperature or in warm water, as this can lead to bacterial growth and spoilage. Always opt for safe and gradual thawing methods to ensure the best quality and taste of your ham.
Tips For Reheating Kentucky Legend Ham After Freezing
If you’ve frozen your Kentucky Legend ham and want to reheat it, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, it’s important to thaw the ham properly before reheating it. The best way to do this is to transfer the ham from the freezer to the refrigerator and let it thaw overnight.
Once the ham has thawed, you can reheat it in the oven, in a skillet or frying pan, or in the microwave. To reheat in the oven, preheat it to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and place the ham in an oven-safe dish. Cover it with foil and bake for 10-15 minutes per pound, or until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
To reheat in a skillet or frying pan, slice the ham into individual portions and heat each slice over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes on each side. You can also add a small amount of water or broth to the pan to help keep the ham moist.
If you’re short on time and want to use the microwave, be sure to cover the ham with a damp paper towel or microwave-safe lid to prevent it from drying out. Heat on high for 1-2 minutes per slice, or until heated through.
No matter which method you choose, be sure to monitor the internal temperature of the ham with a meat thermometer to ensure it reaches a safe temperature of 140 degrees Fahrenheit before serving. By following these tips, you can enjoy your Kentucky Legend ham even after it’s been frozen for months.
Creative Ways To Use Frozen Kentucky Legend Ham In Recipes
Frozen Kentucky Legend ham can be used in a variety of delicious recipes. Here are some creative ways to use it:
1. Ham and Cheese Quiche: Use frozen ham to make a savory quiche by adding it to a mixture of eggs, cheese, and vegetables. Bake in the oven for a hearty breakfast or brunch.
2. Ham and Bean Soup: Make a comforting soup by using frozen ham in a classic ham and bean recipe. Add in some vegetables, herbs, and spices for extra flavor.
3. Ham and Pineapple Pizza: Top your favorite pizza crust with tomato sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, diced frozen ham, and pineapple chunks for a sweet and savory pizza that everyone will love.
4. Ham and Egg Breakfast Sandwich: Use frozen ham to make a delicious breakfast sandwich by adding it to a toasted English muffin with scrambled eggs and cheese.
5. Ham Fried Rice: Add diced frozen ham to leftover rice, scrambled eggs, vegetables, and soy sauce for a quick and easy fried rice dish.
6. Ham and Cheese Roll-Ups: Roll up slices of frozen ham with your favorite cheese for a protein-packed snack or appetizer.
7. Ham and Potato Casserole: Layer sliced potatoes, frozen ham, cheese, and cream of mushroom soup in a casserole dish for a comforting and hearty meal.
With these creative recipe ideas, you can enjoy the delicious taste of Kentucky Legend ham in a variety of dishes year-round.