Are you a fan of Bob Evans sausage?
Do you have some in your fridge right now?
If so, you might be wondering how long it will last before it goes bad.
With conflicting information about sell-by dates and storage methods, it can be tough to know what to do.
But fear not, we’ve got you covered.
In this article, we’ll explore the ins and outs of storing Bob Evans sausage in your fridge, including tips on how to keep it fresh for as long as possible.
So grab a cup of coffee and let’s dive in!
How Long Does Bob Evans Sausage Last In The Fridge?
Bob Evans sausage is a popular choice for breakfast and other meals, but how long can you keep it in your fridge before it goes bad?
According to the United States Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety Inspection Service (FSIS), Bob Evans Italian Sausage has recently been recalled due to potential contamination with thin pieces of blue rubber. The recalled pork sausage, which was sold at stores in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, comes in one-pound packages bearing a use/freeze by date of Jan. 31, 2021. The packaging is also marked with lot code 0352 and establishment number EST. 6785. Anyone with one of the affected packages of sausage at home is “urged not to consume them,” the FSIS reports. Instead, the agency recommends throwing the recalled products away or returning them to the store from which they were purchased.
Assuming you have Bob Evans sausage that is not part of the recall, it is important to note that the sell-by date is not always clear. That day is anticipated to be the last one when the sausage will be at its best. Sausage is frequently still safe to eat after its sell-by date if it is stored correctly in the refrigerator. Sausage keeps for 3–4 days in the refrigerator after it has past its sell-by date. However, you may also store the sausage in the freezer a few days or on the last day before it spoils. The sausage can be stored for six to eight months.
Remember that the sausage will only stay fresh at room temperature for 1-2 hours, depending on the temperature of the space. When the sausage is opened, either use it right away or store it in an airtight container. The sausage can also be packaged by re-wrapping it in plastic wrap and sealing it with a vacuum sealer.
Sausage that has been adequately refrigerated should be cooked within three days of purchase and then put in the fridge. The sausage will remain safe for a few days after its expiration date, but if you notice any signs of deterioration, such as a rancid smell, mildew, or a slimy texture, you should throw it out straight immediately.
Understanding The Sell-By Date On Bob Evans Sausage
The sell-by date on Bob Evans sausage is an important indicator of when the sausage is at its best quality. It is important to note that the sell-by date is not an expiration date, but rather an anticipated date when the sausage will be at its peak freshness.
After the sell-by date has passed, the sausage may still be safe to eat if it has been stored correctly in the refrigerator. Sausage can typically last for 3-4 days in the refrigerator after the sell-by date has passed. However, if you want to extend the shelf life of your sausage, you can also store it in the freezer a few days before it spoils. When frozen, sausage can be stored for six to eight months.
It is important to remember that sausage should not be left out at room temperature for more than 1-2 hours, depending on the temperature of the environment. Once opened, sausage should either be used right away or stored in an airtight container. It can also be re-wrapped in plastic and vacuum sealed for optimal freshness.
If you have Bob Evans sausage that has been adequately refrigerated and cooked within three days of purchase, it should remain safe to eat for a few days after its sell-by date. However, if you notice any signs of spoilage such as a rancid smell, mold, or a slimy texture, it is best to discard the sausage immediately.
Proper Storage Techniques For Bob Evans Sausage In The Fridge
When storing Bob Evans sausage in the fridge, it is important to follow proper storage techniques to ensure it stays fresh for as long as possible. Here are some tips for storing Bob Evans sausage in the fridge:
1. Keep the sausage in its original packaging until you are ready to use it. The packaging is designed to keep the sausage fresh for as long as possible.
2. Store the sausage on a shelf in the fridge, not in the door. The temperature in the door fluctuates more than on a shelf, which can cause the sausage to spoil faster.
3. Keep the sausage away from other foods in the fridge, especially raw meat and poultry. This will help prevent cross-contamination and the spread of bacteria.
4. Make sure the fridge temperature is set to below 40°F (4°C). This will help slow down bacterial growth and keep the sausage fresh for longer.
5. Once you have opened the package of sausage, store any leftover sausage in an airtight container or re-sealable plastic bag. This will help prevent air from getting in and causing the sausage to spoil faster.
By following these proper storage techniques, you can help ensure that your Bob Evans sausage stays fresh and safe to eat for as long as possible.
Signs Your Bob Evans Sausage Has Gone Bad
It is important to know the signs that your Bob Evans sausage has gone bad to avoid consuming spoiled food. Here are some indicators to look out for:
1. Discoloration: If the sausage has turned brown or gray, it may indicate that it has gone bad.
2. Foul odor: If the sausage smells rancid or sour, it is a sign that it has spoiled.
3. Slimy texture: If the sausage feels slimy or sticky to the touch, it is not safe to eat.
4. Mold: If you notice any signs of mold on the sausage, it should be discarded immediately.
5. Changes in packaging: If the packaging appears bloated, punctured, or damaged in any way, it may have been exposed to bacteria and should not be consumed.
If you notice any of these signs, do not eat the sausage and dispose of it immediately. It is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to food safety.
Tips For Extending The Shelf Life Of Bob Evans Sausage
If you want to extend the shelf life of your Bob Evans sausage, there are a few tips you can follow. First and foremost, make sure to store the sausage in the refrigerator as soon as possible after purchasing it. This will help slow down the growth of bacteria and keep the sausage fresh for longer.
When storing the sausage in the fridge, it’s important to keep it tightly covered to prevent air from getting in. This will help prevent oxidation and bacterial growth, which can cause the sausage to spoil more quickly.
If you don’t plan on using the sausage within a few days, consider freezing it instead. Bob Evans sausage can be stored in the freezer for six to eight months, so this is a great option if you want to extend its shelf life even further.
When thawing frozen sausage, be sure to do so in the refrigerator rather than at room temperature. This will help prevent bacterial growth and ensure that the sausage stays fresh and safe to eat.
Finally, if you have any concerns about the freshness or safety of your Bob Evans sausage, don’t hesitate to contact the company directly. They can provide you with more information about their products and answer any questions you may have.
How To Safely Reheat Bob Evans Sausage
If you have leftover Bob Evans sausage that you want to reheat, it is important to do so safely to avoid any risk of foodborne illness. Here are some steps to follow:
1. Thaw the sausage in the refrigerator overnight if it is frozen.
2. Remove the sausage from the packaging and slice it into small pieces.
3. Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat and add a small amount of oil or butter.
4. Add the sausage pieces to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are heated through.
5. Check the internal temperature of the sausage with a meat thermometer to ensure that it has reached 160 degrees F, which is the minimum safe temperature for pork products.
6. Once the sausage is heated through and has reached the safe temperature, remove it from the skillet and serve immediately.
Avoid reheating Bob Evans sausage in the microwave as it can cause the texture to become mushy. Instead, use a skillet or oven to reheat it for best results. Additionally, do not refreeze any leftover sausage as this can increase the risk of bacterial growth and spoilage. Always store leftover sausage in an airtight container in the refrigerator and use it within three days for optimal freshness and safety.