Are you tired of your sausages taking forever to cook? Do you want to add more flavor to your grilled sausages?
Then it’s time to learn how to butterfly sausage! This simple technique involves slicing the sausage lengthwise without cutting all the way through, then flattening it out for faster and more even cooking.
Plus, it exposes more surface area to the flame, resulting in a delicious charred flavor.
In this article, we’ll show you step-by-step how to butterfly sausage and provide some mouth-watering recipe ideas to try out. So grab your knife and let’s get started!
How To Butterfly Sausage?
To butterfly sausage, start by heating a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spray it with nonstick spray and place your sausages into the bottom, cut side down. Using a knife, slice into the sausages lengthwise without cutting all the way through. Then, pull the sausages apart slightly and press to flatten.
Cook the sausages until the bottom side is golden brown and sizzling, then flip and sear for one more minute. Once cooked, transfer the sausages to a foil-lined baking sheet and set aside.
Another way to butterfly sausage is by slicing each sausage lengthwise almost all the way through so that it can be opened and flattened. This technique is perfect for stuffing your sausages with delicious fillings like cheese or herbs.
Why Butterfly Sausage?
Butterflying sausage is a popular technique for several reasons. Firstly, it exposes more surface area of the sausage to the heat source, which allows for faster and more even cooking. This is because the sausage is now thinner and has less volume, so it doesn’t take as long to cook through.
Secondly, butterflied sausages are a great option for filling hot dog buns or other bread rolls. When split down the middle, they can hug the sides of the bun and create a spacious center channel to fill with toppings and sauces. This not only creates a more satisfying bite but also allows for greater customization of your meal.
Finally, butterflying sausage can create a level of sear that can stand up to anything you want to add. By exposing more surface area to the heat source, you can achieve a deeper and more flavorful sear on the sausage, which can enhance the overall taste of your dish.
Tools You’ll Need
To butterfly sausage, you’ll need a few essential tools to ensure success. The first tool you’ll need is a sturdy cutting board. A good cutting board won’t dull your knife and is resistant to bacterial contamination. Bamboo or plastic cutting boards are typically affordable and meet these requirements.
The second tool you’ll need is a sharp chef’s knife. A sharp knife will help you slice through the uncooked meat and prevent slipping that can lead to injuries. If your knife is dull, sharpen it before beginning to butterfly.
Finally, you may want to consider using a kitchen scale for measuring ingredients and a KitchenAid Stand Mixer (or similar product) for mixing ingredients. Additionally, a food grinder attachment for KitchenAid can be helpful for grinding meat and stuffing sausage.
Having these tools on hand will ensure that you are prepared to butterfly sausage with ease and precision.
Step-by-step Guide To Butterfly Sausage
Butterflying sausage is a simple technique that can be done in just a few easy steps. Follow this step-by-step guide to butterfly sausage:
1. Start by selecting your sausages. Cooked sausages, like summer sausage, work best for butterflying.
2. Using a sharp knife, cut the sausage in half lengthwise, leaving a hinge. This will allow you to open the sausage like a book.
3. Once the sausage is cut, open it up and press down gently to flatten it out. This will help it cook more evenly and expose more surface area to the flame.
4. Cook the sausages on a grill over moderate heat. If using a charcoal grill, build a two-zone fire with all the coals piled under one side of the cooking grate.
5. Move the sausages back and forth from the cool to the hot side of the grill, carefully monitoring their internal temperatures with a probe thermometer.
6. Cook until the insides come up to 150°F (66°C) just as the exteriors reach a perfect burnished, crisp, deep brown.
7. Once cooked, transfer the sausages to a foil-lined baking sheet and set aside.
By following these simple steps, you can butterfly sausages like a pro and enjoy perfectly cooked, delicious sausages every time!
Tips For Perfect Butterfly Sausage
Butterflying sausage can be a great technique for reducing cooking time and exposing more surface area to the flame. Here are some tips to help you achieve the perfect butterfly cut:
1. Use the right tools: To butterfly sausage, you’ll need a sturdy cutting board and a sharp chef’s knife. Make sure your cutting board is resistant to bacterial contamination and won’t dull your knife. A sharp knife will help you slice through the uncooked meat and prevent slipping that can lead to cuts and other injuries.
2. Choose the right sausage: Not all sausages are created equal when it comes to butterflying. Choose sausages that are plump and evenly sized for best results.
3. Don’t cut all the way through: When slicing the sausage lengthwise, be careful not to cut all the way through. Leave a small hinge on one side to keep the sausage intact.
4. Flatten evenly: Once you’ve sliced the sausage, pull it apart slightly and press it down to flatten evenly. This will help it cook more evenly and expose more surface area to the flame.
5. Monitor cooking time: Butterflying sausage can reduce cooking time, so be sure to monitor it closely to avoid overcooking or burning.
By following these tips, you can achieve perfectly butterflied sausages with a crispy charred exterior and juicy, flavorful interior.
Recipe Ideas For Butterfly Sausage
If you’re looking for recipe ideas for butterfly sausage, there are plenty of delicious options to try. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
1. Loaded Italian Sausages: As mentioned in the text above, seared Italian sausages topped with peppers, onions, mushrooms, and mozzarella cheese make for a mouthwatering meal. To make this dish with butterfly sausage, simply stuff your sausages with the toppings before searing and baking.
2. Stuffed Sausage: Another great option for butterfly sausage is to stuff it with your favorite ingredients. Try stuffing your sausages with cheese, herbs, or even vegetables for a tasty and filling meal.
3. Grilled Sausage Kabobs: Butterfly sausage can also be cut into chunks and grilled on skewers with vegetables for a fun and flavorful meal. Try marinating your sausage and veggies in your favorite seasoning or sauce before grilling for even more flavor.
4. Sausage and Egg Breakfast Sandwich: Butterfly sausage makes a great addition to a breakfast sandwich. Simply cook your sausages as directed, then layer them on a toasted English muffin with scrambled eggs and cheese.
5. Sausage and Pepper Stir Fry: Butterfly sausage can also be sliced into thin strips and used in a stir fry with bell peppers, onions, and your favorite sauce. Serve over rice or noodles for a quick and easy meal.
No matter how you choose to use butterfly sausage, it’s sure to add delicious flavor to any dish!