Veal Scallopini is a classic Italian dish that is loved by many. It’s a versatile dish that can be served for lunch, dinner, or even as a special occasion meal.
But what makes this dish truly special is the sides that accompany it. The right side dish can elevate the flavors of the veal and make for a truly memorable meal.
In this article, we’ll explore some of the best side dishes to serve with Veal Scallopini, from roasted vegetables to creamy potatoes. So, get ready to impress your guests with your culinary skills and take your Veal Scallopini game to the next level!
What Goes Good With Veal Scallopini?
When it comes to choosing the perfect side dish to serve with Veal Scallopini, there are plenty of options to choose from. Here are some of the best side dishes that will complement the flavors of the dish:
1. Roasted Vegetables: Grilled or roasted vegetables are a great choice for any veal recipe. They offer a crunchy texture that contrasts well with the tender veal, and their flavors pair perfectly. Some tasty vegetables to consider include artichokes, eggplants, mushrooms, onions, olives, spinach, leeks, and tomatoes.
2. Potatoes: Potatoes are a classic side dish that go well with almost any meal. For Veal Scallopini, consider serving fondant potatoes or roasted potatoes. These dishes will soak up the sauce beautifully and add a creamy texture to the meal.
3. Rice Pilaf: Rice pilaf is a flavorful and easy-to-make side dish that pairs well with Veal Scallopini. The nutty flavor of the rice complements the earthy meatiness of the veal, while the herbs and spices in the pilaf add depth to the dish.
4. Salad: A fresh and colorful salad is a great way to balance out the richness of Veal Scallopini. Consider serving a simple green salad with a light vinaigrette dressing or a more complex salad with mixed greens, nuts, and fruits.
5. Risotto: Risotto is a creamy and comforting side dish that pairs perfectly with Veal Scallopini. The rich flavors of the risotto will complement the tender veal and create a truly indulgent meal.
Roasted Vegetables: A Perfect Complement To Veal Scallopini
Roasted vegetables are a fantastic choice to serve alongside Veal Scallopini. They offer a deliciously crunchy texture that complements the tender veal, while their flavorful taste perfectly complements the dish. To prepare roasted vegetables, thinly slice carrots, red bell peppers, and yellow squash and mix them with olive oil and your choice of spices. Then, roast them in the oven until they are tender and slightly charred. The sweetness of the roasted vegetables will balance out the lemon and butter-coated veal scallopini, creating a complete and satisfying meal.
One of the best things about roasted vegetables is that they are easy to customize to your taste. You can use different seasonings and veggies depending on your preferences. For example, you could try adding garlic, rosemary, or thyme for a more robust flavor. You could also include other vegetables like zucchini, asparagus, or sweet potatoes to add even more variety to your dish.
To serve roasted vegetables with Veal Scallopini, top them with fresh herbs like parsley or basil and sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese on top. This will add an extra layer of flavor and make your dish even more delicious. Overall, roasted vegetables are a tasty and healthy choice that will make your Veal Scallopini meal complete.
Creamy Potato Dishes That Will Make Your Mouth Water
Potatoes are a versatile ingredient that can be prepared in many different ways to complement the flavors of Veal Scallopini. Here are some creamy potato dishes that will make your mouth water:
1. Mashed Potatoes: Creamy mashed potatoes are a classic side dish that pair well with Veal Scallopini. To make them, boil peeled potatoes until tender, then mash them with butter, milk, and salt. For extra flavor, consider adding garlic or Parmesan cheese.
2. Potato Gratin: Potato gratin is a decadent side dish that is perfect for special occasions. Thinly sliced potatoes are layered with cream, cheese, and seasonings, then baked until golden and bubbly.
3. Hasselback Potatoes: Hasselback potatoes are a fun and fancy way to serve potatoes with Veal Scallopini. To make them, slice potatoes thinly but not all the way through, then brush with butter and seasonings before baking until crispy and tender.
4. Potato Puree: Potato puree is a luxurious side dish that is perfect for special occasions. Boil peeled potatoes until tender, then mash them with cream, butter, and seasonings until smooth and creamy.
5. Potato Casserole: A potato casserole is a hearty and satisfying side dish that pairs well with Veal Scallopini. Mix sliced potatoes with cream, cheese, onions, and seasonings, then bake until golden and bubbly.
The Classic Italian Pairing: Pasta And Veal Scallopini
In Italy, it’s common to serve Veal Scallopini with a side of pasta. The combination of the tender veal and the hearty pasta creates a satisfying and filling meal. Spaghetti or fettuccine are great choices to accompany Veal Scallopini, as they can hold up to the rich sauce and flavors of the dish. You can also try serving the Veal Scallopini with a tomato-based pasta sauce, such as marinara or arrabbiata, to add an extra layer of flavor to the meal. Another classic Italian pasta dish that pairs well with Veal Scallopini is Pasta e Fagioli Soup. This hearty soup is full of robust flavors, pasta, vegetables, and beans, making it a perfect comfort food to enjoy alongside Veal Scallopini. Overall, serving Veal Scallopini with a side of pasta is a classic Italian pairing that is sure to satisfy any craving for delicious Italian cuisine.
Light And Refreshing Salads To Balance Out The Richness Of The Dish
If you’re looking for a lighter option to balance out the richness of Veal Scallopini, a salad is the perfect choice. Here are some light and refreshing salads that will complement the flavors of the dish:
1. Arugula Salad: Arugula is a peppery green that adds a bold flavor to any salad. Toss it with some cherry tomatoes, shaved parmesan cheese, and a simple lemon vinaigrette for a delicious and refreshing salad.
2. Caprese Salad: A classic Caprese salad is a perfect side dish for Veal Scallopini. The combination of fresh mozzarella, ripe tomatoes, and basil creates a simple yet flavorful salad that pairs perfectly with the dish.
3. Greek Salad: A Greek salad is another great option to serve with Veal Scallopini. The combination of crisp lettuce, juicy tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, and feta cheese creates a light and refreshing salad that complements the rich flavors of the dish.
4. Beet Salad: A beet salad is a colorful and flavorful option that pairs well with Veal Scallopini. Roast some beets and toss them with arugula, goat cheese, and a simple balsamic vinaigrette for a delicious and satisfying salad.
5. Spinach Salad: Spinach is a nutrient-dense leafy green that adds a fresh flavor to any salad. Toss it with some sliced strawberries, crumbled feta cheese, and a light raspberry vinaigrette for a sweet and tangy salad that pairs perfectly with Veal Scallopini.
Wine Pairings That Will Bring Out The Best In Your Veal Scallopini
When it comes to pairing wine with Veal Scallopini, there are a few things to consider. The preparation and sauce used in the dish will greatly impact the wine pairing. Here are some wine pairings that will bring out the best in your Veal Scallopini:
1. Pinot Noir: Pinot Noir is a great option for Veal Scallopini with mushroom sauce. The medium-bodied wine offers earthy flavors that complement the earthiness of the mushrooms, while the acidity cuts through the creaminess of the sauce.
2. Merlot: For a mild to medium-spiced Veal Scallopini, consider pairing it with a Merlot. The low tannin level of this medium-bodied red wine allows the fruitiness to shine through and balance the richness of the fried batter.
3. Pinot Grigio: If you’re serving a creamy Veal Scallopini, a crisp and acidic Pinot Grigio is a great choice. This light and dry white wine pairs well with the light flavor of the veal and counterbalances the richness of the fried batter.
4. Sangiovese: For Veal Scallopini prepared with tomatoes or tomato sauce, a light-bodied red wine like Sangiovese is an excellent pairing. The fruitiness of this wine complements the acidity of the tomatoes and pairs well with red meats.
5. Chianti: A spicy Veal Scallopini prepared with cream or cheese pairs well with Chianti, a classic medium-bodied red wine from Italy. The spicy and deep fruit undertones of Chianti balance well with the richness of the battered veal.
6. Brunello di Montalcino: If you prefer an earthier red wine, Brunello di Montalcino is an excellent choice for Veal Scallopini. This rich clone of Sangiovese offers bold chocolate, violet, and wood tones that pair well with this dish.