Are you a fan of tender, juicy bacon ribs that almost fall off the bone?
Look no further than your trusty slow cooker!
With just a few simple steps, you can have mouthwatering bacon ribs that are sure to impress.
Whether you’re cooking for a crowd or just looking for an easy weeknight dinner, this recipe is sure to become a go-to in your kitchen.
So grab your slow cooker and let’s get started!
How To Cook Bacon Ribs In Slow Cooker?
First, line an oven rack with aluminum foil and rinse and pat dry the bacon ribs. Slice the ribs in between the bones to separate them and place them on the oven rack. Brush both sides of the ribs with olive oil and sprinkle them with your favorite seasonings.
Next, broil the ribs on high for about 15 minutes, turning once to ensure both sides are brown. Remove the ribs from the oven and set them aside.
Dice up an onion and place it in the slow cooker. Core some apples, dice them up, and add them to the slow cooker as well. Pour your favorite BBQ sauce over the ribs and add them to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-9 hours until the ribs are tender but not completely falling off the bone.
If you prefer your bacon ribs crispy, place them on a wire rack on a baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees until crispy. When the ribs are done, slice up some bacon into thin strips and sprinkle it on top.
Gathering Ingredients And Equipment
Before starting to cook bacon ribs in a slow cooker, you will need to gather all the necessary ingredients and equipment. Here is a list of everything you will need:
1. Bacon ribs: You can purchase them from your local grocery store or butcher.
2. Slow cooker: A slow cooker is an essential piece of equipment for cooking bacon ribs. You can use any size slow cooker, depending on the amount of ribs you are cooking.
3. Marinade ingredients: You will need a marinade for the bacon ribs to add flavor and tenderness. The marinade can include ingredients such as BBQ sauce, apple cider vinegar, honey, soy sauce, garlic, onion, and spices.
4. Aluminum foil: You will need aluminum foil to line the oven rack when broiling the ribs.
5. Olive oil: Olive oil is used to brush both sides of the ribs before broiling.
6. Seasonings: You can use your favorite seasonings to sprinkle on the ribs before broiling.
7. Onion: Dice up an onion and place it in the slow cooker for added flavor.
8. Apples: Core some apples, dice them up, and add them to the slow cooker for added sweetness.
9. BBQ sauce: Pour your favorite BBQ sauce over the ribs in the slow cooker.
10. Wire rack: If you prefer your bacon ribs crispy, you will need a wire rack to place them on when roasting in the oven.
11. Baking sheet: You will need a baking sheet to place the wire rack on when roasting the bacon ribs in the oven.
By gathering all of these ingredients and equipment beforehand, you will be able to cook delicious and tender bacon ribs in a slow cooker with ease.
Preparing The Bacon Ribs
To prepare the bacon ribs, start by removing the silver skin from the back of the ribs by sliding your fingers or a sharp knife underneath it so you can get a hold of an edge and pull it off. This will help the ribs cook evenly and prevent them from curling up during cooking.
Next, mix your favorite spices together and generously coat the ribs on both sides, rubbing the spice mixture into the pork. You can use a pre-made rub or create your own by combining salt, pepper, garlic powder, and other seasonings to your liking.
To infuse the ribs with bacon flavor, lay three strips of bacon across the top of the ribs while they’re smoking. This will add an extra layer of flavor and help keep the meat moist during cooking.
Smoke the ribs between 210°F to 225°F for 6 to 8 hours. The lower and slower you go, the better the ribs will be. To ensure even cooking, flip the ribs every couple of hours. When flipping the ribs, just set the bacon on top of the other rack of ribs or the grill, flip the ribs over and put the bacon back in its happy place.
When the ribs are done, use the paint, fire, and flip method to finish them off. The goal of this method is to sear the sauce onto the outside of the ribs without burning it or drying out the meat. Place the ribs on a medium-high grill and lightly paint them with your favorite BBQ sauce using a grill brush. Once coated, flip them over and repeat on the other side, cooking for 2 to 3 minutes per side before flipping them over again. Continue painting and flipping until each side has been coated three times.
Finally, take the bacon ribs off the grill and let them rest for a few minutes before slicing. To serve, slice them in ones or twos along the bone and serve with some more Bacon Bourbon BBQ Sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.
Seasoning The Ribs
To season the bacon ribs, start by removing the inner skin or membrane from the ribs and placing them in the slow cooker. Discard the skin. In a small bowl, combine BBQ sauce, brown sugar, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and cayenne pepper. Mix well to combine and completely cover the ribs with half of the sauce. Season with a good amount of salt and pepper, cover with a lid, and cook on low setting for 7-9 hours or high setting for 3-5 hours.
If you prefer a different seasoning blend, you can create your own rub using your favorite spices. For example, you can mix garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, brown sugar, salt, and pepper to make a delicious rub for your bacon ribs.
Before cooking the ribs in the slow cooker, it’s important to season them well to ensure that they are flavorful and delicious. You can also experiment with different seasonings to create your own unique flavor profile. Just make sure to season the ribs generously on both sides for best results.
Adding The Ribs To The Slow Cooker
To add the bacon ribs to the slow cooker, start by preparing the ribs. Remove the inner skin (membrane) from the ribs and discard it. Pat the ribs dry with a paper towel.
Next, mix together your BBQ sauce, brown sugar, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl. Make sure to mix well to combine all the flavors.
Now, place half of the bacon ribs in the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour half of the sauce over the ribs and make sure they are completely covered. Add the remaining bacon ribs on top of the first layer and pour the remaining sauce over them.
If your slow cooker is not big enough to fit all of the ribs in one layer, you can cut them in half and layer them on top of each other. Make sure to pour sauce between each layer.
Once all of the bacon ribs are in the slow cooker and covered with sauce, season them with a good amount of salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and cook on low for 7-9 hours or on high for 3-5 hours.
When the bacon ribs are tender and falling apart, carefully transfer them onto an oven tray or baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pour half of the juices from the slow cooker bowl into the remaining sauce and mix well.
Now baste the bacon ribs with half of the sauce and broil (grill) in a preheated oven at 400°F (220°C) for about 10 minutes or until beginning to char and crisp on the edges. Serve hot with remaining sauce on top.
Remember to refrigerate any remaining sauce for later use. Enjoy your delicious bacon ribs cooked to perfection in your slow cooker!
Cooking The Ribs
Cooking bacon ribs in a slow cooker is a great way to achieve tender, fall-off-the-bone meat that is full of flavor. Here are the steps to follow:
1. Prepare the ribs: Rinse and pat dry the bacon ribs. If the ribs still have a membrane, slide a table knife under the silver skin of the ribs and use a paper towel to pull the membrane carefully off. Slice the ribs in between the bones to separate them and place them on an oven rack lined with aluminum foil.
2. Season the ribs: Brush both sides of the ribs with olive oil and sprinkle them with your favorite seasonings. You can use a pre-made rub or create your own using paprika, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cinnamon, and brown sugar.
3. Broil the ribs: Place the oven rack with the ribs in the oven and broil on high for about 15 minutes, turning once to ensure both sides are brown. Remove the ribs from the oven and set them aside.
4. Prepare the slow cooker: Dice up an onion and place it in the slow cooker. Core some apples, dice them up, and add them to the slow cooker as well.
5. Add BBQ sauce and ribs to slow cooker: Pour your favorite BBQ sauce over the ribs and add them to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-9 hours until the ribs are tender but not completely falling off the bone.
6. Optional step for crispy bacon: If you prefer your bacon ribs crispy, place them on a wire rack on a baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees until crispy. When the ribs are done, slice up some bacon into thin strips and sprinkle it on top.
By following these steps, you can easily cook delicious bacon ribs in a slow cooker that are sure to impress your family and friends.
Adding The Finishing Touches
Now that your bacon ribs in slow cooker are cooked to perfection, it’s time to add the finishing touches. The first step is to remove the ribs from the slow cooker and place them on a serving platter.
If you want to add a sticky glaze to your bacon ribs, remove any excess liquid from the slow cooker and mix together your sticky sauce ingredients in a medium-sized dish. Whisk together ginger, pepper, onion powder, sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and honey until well combined.
Next, brush the sticky sauce over the bacon ribs and place them under the broiler for 3-5 minutes until the edges start to look crispy and caramelized. Keep an eye on them to ensure they don’t burn.
If you prefer a smoky flavor, you can also add some wood chips to your slow cooker while cooking the bacon ribs. This will infuse them with a delicious smoky flavor that will make them even more irresistible.
Finally, serve your bacon ribs hot with your favorite sides like coleslaw or baked beans. Enjoy the delicious flavors and tender texture of these slow-cooked bacon ribs that are sure to become a family favorite.