Bacon is a beloved breakfast staple that can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. Whether you prefer it crispy or chewy, sweet or savory, bacon is a versatile ingredient that can be paired with a range of flavors.
But have you ever considered adding herbs to your bacon dishes? Herbs can add a depth of flavor and complexity to your bacon creations, taking them to the next level.
In this article, we’ll explore some of the best herbs to pair with bacon and provide some delicious recipe ideas to try out in your own kitchen.
So grab a slice of bacon and let’s get started!
What Herbs Go Well With Bacon?
When it comes to pairing herbs with bacon, there are a few that stand out as particularly delicious. Here are some of our top picks:
1. Rosemary: This woody herb pairs perfectly with the smoky flavor of bacon. Try adding chopped rosemary to your bacon and egg breakfast sandwich or sprinkle it over roasted bacon-wrapped asparagus.
2. Thyme: Another herb that complements the smokiness of bacon, thyme adds a subtle earthy flavor to your dishes. Add it to your bacon and potato hash or sprinkle it over your bacon-wrapped dates.
3. Oregano: While oregano can be a bit spicy, it adds a Mediterranean flair to your bacon dishes. Try adding it to your breakfast burrito or sprinkling it over your BLT.
4. Sage: This herb has a slightly sweet and savory flavor that pairs well with the saltiness of bacon. Use it in your bacon stuffing for chicken breasts or sprinkle it over your bacon-wrapped scallops.
5. Parsley: This mild herb adds a fresh, bright flavor to your bacon dishes. Try adding chopped parsley to your bacon and egg scramble or sprinkle it over your bacon-wrapped shrimp.
Why Add Herbs To Your Bacon Dishes?
Adding herbs to your bacon dishes can elevate the flavor profile and bring a new dimension to the dish. Herbs like rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage, and parsley not only add unique flavors but also provide health benefits. For example, rosemary has anti-inflammatory properties and thyme is rich in vitamin C.
Using fresh herbs is always the best option, as they have a vibrant color and strong aroma. Soft herbs like basil, coriander, and dill should be added towards the end of the cooking time to prevent overcooking and loss of flavor. Hard or woody herbs like rosemary and thyme should be added earlier to allow their full flavor to be released.
Dried herbs are also an option, but they are less vibrant in color and need to be cooked longer in or around liquid to release their concentrated flavor compounds. It is important to note that dried herbs are more concentrated, so you need to decrease the volume you add compared to fresh herbs.
Herbs can also be used to flavor bacon in creative ways. For example, adding brown sugar, fresh rosemary, and thyme to thick-cut bacon slices creates a delicious Herb Candied Bacon. Using extra ingredients like chili powder, coffee, maple syrup, or honey can enhance the original savory, salty, and smoky flavor of bacon.
The Best Herbs To Pair With Bacon
When it comes to pairing herbs with bacon, there are many options to choose from. However, some herbs stand out as particularly delicious when paired with bacon. Here are some of the best herbs to pair with bacon:
1. Rosemary: This herb has a woody flavor that pairs perfectly with the smoky taste of bacon. It is a great addition to breakfast sandwiches or roasted bacon-wrapped vegetables.
2. Thyme: Another herb that complements the smokiness of bacon, thyme adds an earthy flavor to your dishes. It is great in bacon and potato hash or sprinkled over bacon-wrapped dates.
3. Oregano: Although oregano can be a bit spicy, it adds a Mediterranean flavor to your bacon dishes. It is perfect for breakfast burritos or sprinkled over BLTs.
4. Sage: This herb has a slightly sweet and savory flavor that pairs well with the saltiness of bacon. It is great in bacon stuffing for chicken breasts or sprinkled over bacon-wrapped scallops.
5. Parsley: This mild herb adds a fresh, bright flavor to your bacon dishes. It is perfect in a bacon and egg scramble or sprinkled over bacon-wrapped shrimp.
By adding these herbs to your bacon dishes, you can elevate the flavor and create delicious meals that are sure to impress your family and friends.
Recipe Ideas For Bacon And Herb Combinations
Now that you know which herbs pair well with bacon, here are some recipe ideas to inspire you in the kitchen:
1. Herb Candied Bacon: This recipe combines brown sugar, fresh rosemary, thyme, and paprika to create a sweet and savory bacon that is perfect for breakfast, brunch, or as a fun treat.
2. Bacon-Wrapped Stuffed Chicken with Herbs: This dish features tender chicken breasts wrapped in bacon and stuffed with a flavorful herb filling of lime, garlic, and aromatic herbs. It’s an easy one-pot meal that is perfect for any day of the week.
3. Coffee-Infused Bacon: For a unique twist on bacon, try soaking uncooked bacon in a mixture of strong black coffee, cinnamon, cocoa powder, and brown sugar before baking it in the oven. The result is a rich, smoky flavor with a subtle hint of sweetness.
4. Herb and Bacon Beans: This simple recipe combines pork roast with beans, lots of bacon, and fresh herbs for a savory and rich flavor. It’s perfect for a comforting meal on a chilly evening.
5. Bacon Onion Herb Quiche: This quiche is loaded with bacon, onions, and herbs like thyme and parsley for a delicious and satisfying meal. Serve it with roasted vegetables or salad for a complete meal.
By incorporating these herb and bacon combinations into your cooking repertoire, you can elevate your dishes to new heights of flavor and deliciousness.
Tips For Cooking With Bacon And Herbs
Now that you know which herbs go well with bacon, here are some tips for cooking with them:
1. Use fresh herbs whenever possible. While dried herbs can work in a pinch, fresh herbs will provide a stronger, more vibrant flavor to your dishes.
2. Be careful not to overdo it. While herbs can add a lot of flavor to your bacon dishes, too much can overwhelm the dish and make it difficult to enjoy the bacon itself.
3. Consider the cooking method. Some herbs hold up better to high heat than others. For example, rosemary and thyme can withstand higher temperatures, while parsley is best added at the end of cooking to preserve its bright flavor.
4. Experiment with different combinations. Don’t be afraid to try new herb and bacon pairings to find your own favorite flavor combinations.
By following these tips and experimenting with different herb and bacon pairings, you’ll be able to create delicious and flavorful dishes that will have your taste buds singing.
Conclusion: Elevate Your Bacon Game With Herbs
Incorporating herbs into your bacon dishes can take them to the next level. Not only do herbs add flavor, but they also bring a variety of health benefits. For example, parsley is high in vitamin C, while rosemary has antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Thyme has been shown to have antibacterial properties, and oregano is high in antioxidants and may help with digestion. Sage has been used for centuries for its medicinal properties, including improving brain function and reducing inflammation. So next time you’re cooking with bacon, don’t be afraid to experiment with different herbs to elevate your dish and add some extra health benefits.