Are you a fan of hearty soups and stews, but don’t want to break the bank buying a whole ham?
Well, we have some good news for you!
Did you know that you can purchase ham bones from Honey Baked Ham stores?
These bones are perfect for adding flavor to your favorite recipes, such as black-eyed peas, collard greens, and lima bean soup.
But before you rush out to the store, let’s take a closer look at what you can expect to pay and what you’ll get for your money.
Can You Buy Ham Bones From Honey Baked Ham?
Yes, you can buy ham bones from Honey Baked Ham stores. These bones are typically sold for around $3.29 per pound, with a weight range of 3.5 to 6 pounds. This means that the total price for a single bone can range from $11.50 to $19.75.
While this may seem like a steep price for just a bone, it’s important to note that these bones come with significant amounts of meat still attached. This meat can be used in your recipes, making the purchase more cost-effective in the long run.
What Are Ham Bones And Why Use Them?
Ham bones are the leftover bones from a ham that has already been cooked and eaten. These bones are typically sold in stores as a way to utilize the remaining meat and flavor after the ham has been consumed.
There are several reasons why you might want to use a ham bone in your cooking. Firstly, the bone itself adds a depth of flavor to soups, stews, and broths that cannot be replicated by using just the meat alone. The bone contains marrow, which when cooked, adds a rich and savory taste to your dish.
Additionally, using a ham bone in your cooking is an excellent way to reduce food waste. Instead of throwing away the leftover bones, you can use them to create delicious and nutritious meals. This is especially important in today’s world, where food waste is a significant issue.
Lastly, using a ham bone in your cooking is a cost-effective way to add flavor to your meals. As mentioned earlier, these bones often come with meat still attached, which can be used in your recipes. This means that you can get more out of your purchase than just the bone itself.
How Much Do Ham Bones Cost At Honey Baked Ham?
According to Nate Ball, the manager of a Honey Baked Ham store in Brentwood, the cost of ham bones at the store can vary depending on the weight. On average, you can expect to pay between $4 to $7 for a single ham bone. This is a reasonable price considering the quality of the meat and the fact that it can be used in various recipes.
It’s worth noting that Honey Baked Ham stores have regular customers who purchase these bones throughout the year. This indicates that the quality and taste of the meat is highly regarded by customers, making it a worthwhile purchase.
What To Expect When Buying Ham Bones From Honey Baked Ham
When purchasing ham bones from Honey Baked Ham, you can expect to receive a bone that has been cooked over a special blend of hardwood chips for an entire day before being spiral cut. The bone will also have been glazed with the company’s signature honey glaze, which is known for its wonderful sweetness and crunch.
It’s important to note that the glaze is applied after the slices are made, ensuring that it’s evenly distributed throughout the ham. While no one knows exactly what is in the glaze, it’s clear that it’s a key part of what makes Honey Baked Ham so delicious.
When you buy a ham bone from Honey Baked Ham, you can also expect to receive a bone that still has a significant amount of meat attached. This meat can be used in a variety of recipes, making the purchase more cost-effective in the long run.
How To Use Ham Bones In Your Cooking
Ham bones are a versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes to add flavor and depth. Here are some ways to use ham bones in your cooking:
1. Make soup: One of the most popular ways to use ham bones is to make soup. Simply simmer the bone in water with vegetables and herbs for a few hours to create a flavorful broth. You can then add meat, beans, or other ingredients to make a hearty soup.
2. Create a stock: Ham bones can also be used to make a rich and flavorful stock. Simmer the bone in water with onions, celery, and carrots for several hours, then strain the liquid and use it as a base for soups, stews, or risotto.
3. Make collard greens: Ham bones are a classic ingredient in Southern-style collard greens. Simmer the bone with collard greens, onions, garlic, and chicken broth for a few hours until the greens are tender and flavorful.
4. Add flavor to beans: Ham bones can also be used to add flavor to beans. Simply simmer the bone with beans and other ingredients like onions, garlic, and spices for several hours until the beans are tender and flavorful.
5. Make a sauce: Ham bones can also be used to make a rich and flavorful sauce for pasta or meat dishes. Simmer the bone with tomatoes, onions, garlic, and herbs for several hours until the sauce is thick and flavorful.
Other Uses For Ham Bones
Ham bones are not just for making soup! There are a variety of other uses for them that you may not have considered. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
1. Flavoring Beans: Add a ham bone to your pot of beans while they cook for added flavor and richness. This works especially well with red beans and rice.
2. Dog Treats: Boil the ham bone until all the meat falls off, then chop it up into small pieces and mix it with dog food or use it as a treat. Your furry friend will love the flavor!
3. Gravy: Use a ham bone as the base for a flavorful gravy. Simmer the bone in water with onions and garlic, then strain the liquid and use it as the base for your gravy.
4. Fried Rice: Add chopped ham from the bone to your fried rice for an extra burst of flavor.
5. Collard Greens: Slow cook collard greens with a ham bone for a classic Southern side dish that’s packed with flavor.
No matter what you choose to do with your leftover ham bone, there are plenty of ways to make the most of it. So next time you’re at Honey Baked Ham, don’t hesitate to pick up a bone or two and get creative in the kitchen!