Are you planning a baked ham dinner and wondering what sides to serve? Look no further!
We’ve compiled a list of over 50 amazing side dishes that are sure to complement your main course and satisfy your family’s taste buds.
From classic holiday sides like green bean casserole and mashed potatoes to hearty options like mac and cheese and bread, there’s something for everyone.
Whether you’re hosting a special occasion or simply enjoying a weeknight dinner, these side dishes will elevate your meal and make it unforgettable.
So, let’s dive in and find the perfect pairing for your baked ham dinner!
What Goes With Baked Ham Dinner?
When it comes to serving baked ham as the main course, there are a variety of side dishes that can complement its savory flavor. Here are some of our top picks:
1. Roasted Vegetables: Roasting vegetables like carrots, Brussels sprouts, and sweet potatoes can add a healthy and flavorful touch to your meal.
2. Green Bean Casserole: This classic holiday side dish is always a crowd-pleaser and pairs perfectly with baked ham.
3. Mashed Potatoes: Creamy and buttery mashed potatoes are a staple side dish that can never go wrong with baked ham.
4. Mac and Cheese: Indulge in some comfort food with a delicious mac and cheese recipe that will leave your taste buds satisfied.
5. Salad: A fresh salad with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, and a tangy vinaigrette can balance out the richness of the ham.
6. Baked Beans: Sweet and savory baked beans are a perfect complement to the smoky flavor of baked ham.
7. Cornbread: Serve up some warm and buttery cornbread for a Southern-style side dish that will make your meal complete.
8. Rolls or Biscuits: Freshly baked rolls or biscuits can be a simple yet satisfying addition to your baked ham dinner.
Hearty And Comforting Choices
If you’re looking for some more hearty and comforting side dishes to pair with your baked ham, consider these options:
1. Scalloped Potatoes: Thinly sliced potatoes baked in a creamy sauce make for a decadent and satisfying side dish.
2. Gravy: Pour some rich and savory gravy over your baked ham and mashed potatoes for the ultimate comfort food experience.
3. Stuffing: A classic stuffing recipe with herbs, bread crumbs, and savory sausage can add a cozy touch to your meal.
4. Corn Pudding: This Southern-style dish made with cornmeal, creamed corn, and cheese is a deliciously indulgent side dish for any ham dinner.
5. Sweet Potato Casserole: A sweet and crunchy topping made with pecans and brown sugar complements the smoky flavor of baked ham.
6. Creamed Spinach: This creamy and cheesy side dish is a great way to sneak in some extra veggies while still indulging in comfort food.
7. Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower: A healthier alternative to traditional mashed potatoes, this dish is still creamy and flavorful thanks to roasted garlic and Parmesan cheese.
Whether you’re looking for healthy vegetable sides or indulgent comfort food, these hearty choices will make your baked ham dinner a meal to remember.
Fresh And Light Options
For those looking for a lighter and fresher option to pair with their baked ham dinner, there are plenty of choices to consider. Here are some ideas:
1. Roasted Asparagus: Roasting asparagus with a little olive oil and seasoning can result in a simple and delicious side dish that complements the ham without overwhelming it.
2. Grilled Pineapple: Grilled pineapple provides a sweet and tangy contrast to the saltiness of the ham, making it a refreshing and unique choice.
3. Quinoa Salad: A quinoa salad with fresh herbs, chopped vegetables, and a light dressing can be a healthy and flavorful side dish that adds some color to your plate.
4. Steamed Broccoli: Steamed broccoli is a classic vegetable side dish that can be dressed up with some lemon juice or Parmesan cheese for added flavor.
5. Mixed Berry Salad: A salad with mixed berries, spinach, and a light vinaigrette can add some sweetness and freshness to your meal.
6. Cucumber Salad: A simple cucumber salad with sliced cucumbers, red onion, and a light dressing can be a refreshing and crunchy side dish.
7. Roasted Sweet Potatoes: Roasting sweet potatoes with cinnamon and honey can create a sweet and savory side dish that pairs well with baked ham.
8. Cauliflower Rice: For a low-carb option, try serving cauliflower rice seasoned with garlic and herbs as a light and flavorful side dish.
With these fresh and light options, you can balance out the richness of the baked ham with some healthy and flavorful choices that will leave you feeling satisfied but not weighed down.
Creative Twists On Traditional Sides
While the above side dishes are classic and delicious, there are also creative twists on traditional sides that can elevate your baked ham dinner. Here are some ideas to try:
1. Loaded Cauliflower Salad: Swap out the traditional potato salad for a loaded cauliflower salad. Roast cauliflower florets and mix with crispy bacon, cheddar cheese, green onions, and a creamy dressing.
2. Pineapple Casserole: Add a tropical touch to your meal with a sweet and savory pineapple casserole. Mix crushed pineapple with sugar, flour, and cheddar cheese, then top with buttery Ritz crackers.
3. Garlic Green Beans with Almonds: Take your green beans to the next level by sautéing them with garlic and topping with crunchy almonds.
4. Maple Glazed Carrots with Thyme: Instead of plain roasted carrots, try glazing them with maple syrup and fresh thyme for a sweet and savory flavor.
5. Loaded Baked Potato Casserole: If you love mashed potatoes but want to switch it up, try a loaded baked potato casserole. Mix mashed potatoes with sour cream, cheddar cheese, bacon, and green onions, then bake until bubbly.
These creative twists on traditional sides will add some excitement to your baked ham dinner and impress your guests. Don’t be afraid to experiment with flavors and ingredients to find your perfect pairing.
Easy And Quick Sides For Busy Weeknights
For those busy weeknights when you need a quick and easy side dish to pair with your baked ham dinner, here are some options:
1. Frozen Vegetables: Keep a bag of frozen vegetables in your freezer for a quick and healthy side dish that can be cooked in minutes.
2. Rice Pilaf: Make a simple rice pilaf by cooking rice with chicken broth and adding in some herbs and spices for extra flavor.
3. Garlic Roasted Potatoes: Cut potatoes into small pieces, toss with garlic and olive oil, and roast in the oven for a delicious and easy side dish.
4. Steamed Broccoli: Steam some broccoli and season with salt and pepper for a simple yet nutritious side dish.
5. Coleslaw: Whip up a quick coleslaw by mixing shredded cabbage, carrots, and a dressing of your choice.
6. Garlic Bread: Toast some bread and spread with garlic butter for a quick and tasty side dish that pairs well with baked ham.
7. Grilled Vegetables: Toss some vegetables on the grill for a quick and flavorful side dish that can be cooked alongside your baked ham.
8. Canned Fruit Salad: Open up a can of fruit cocktail or pineapple chunks for an easy and refreshing side dish that requires no prep work.